Pyrometer with humidity meter.

Santhakumar

Joined Mar 17, 2015
Hi

Could anyone suggest a Pyrometer (Remote temperature measuring device, capable of measuring above 350 Degree Celsius) with embedded humidity meter also.

I need a pyrometer for my project and thinking of buying a product which can also measure humidity and may be ambient temperature also.
if anyone knows product with this combination please suggest me.

Thanks.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It seems you are asking for a lot from the humidity measurement. How do you define it at temperatures above the boiling point of water and at atmospheric pressure?

What methods have you considered for measuring humidity?

There is actually quite a bit written on measuring humidity at temperatures in excess of water's boiling point. Here is just one link to an instrument manufacturer: http://www.macinstruments.com/relatv_c.html

John

Last edited:

Santhakumar

Joined Mar 17, 2015
Hi jpanhalt,

My Requirement is just remote temperature measuring product. let's say i have a laser gun which can measure temperature by pointing it at hot surface to be measured. But i don't want to measure the humidity of that hot surface. i can use it to measure humidity when it is not been used for temperature measurement. i just asked a product with this added feature.

Hope you would understand my requirement.
And thanks for your link. it made me to understand facts about humidity.

Santhakumar.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
let's say i have a laser gun which can measure temperature by pointing it at hot surface to be measured. But i don't want to measure the humidity of that hot surface. i can use it to measure humidity when it is not been used for temperature measurement.
How do you plan to use a laser for humidity measurement?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
How do you measure temperature with laser? The radiation from a hot object is very non-laser like.

Are you sure the laser you see is not just to show approximately where the IR detector is pointed?

John

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think you could use spectroscopy to measure the density of water vapor and air separately but you'd probably need a mirror on your target to reflect your beams. I'm not aware of any such instrument.

I agree the laser is more likely a targeting aid than anything to do with the measurement.

Santhakumar

Joined Mar 17, 2015
How do you measure temperature with laser? The radiation from a hot object is very non-laser like.

Are you sure the laser you see is not just to show approximately where the IR detector is pointed?

John
Hi,

Laser is a spectrum which is just a near Infrared spectrum..and which is transmitted from the infrared gun and reflected back from the object. this reflected waves detected by IR detector and so it measures temperature from this reflected radiation.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Ummm. no.

The device has a visible laser which is only used to point the device at the desired measurement spot, it has NOTHING to do with the temperature measurement.

It actually measures "black body" IR radiation from the target, very long IR wavelengths.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi,

Laser is a spectrum which is just a near Infrared spectrum..and which is transmitted from the infrared gun and reflected back from the object. this reflected waves detected by IR detector and so it measures temperature from this reflected radiation.
I think you have a serious misunderstanding of how you pyrometer works. Here is the briefest description from Wikipedia:
An infrared thermometer is a thermometer which infers temperature from a portion of the thermal radiation sometimes called blackbody radiation emitted by the object being measured. They are sometimes called laser thermometers if a laser is used to help aim the thermometer...
Your pyrometer does not measure a reflected laser beam. It detects the infrared emitted by the object it is pointed at.

John

Santhakumar

Joined Mar 17, 2015
Ummm. no.

The device has a visible laser which is only used to point the device at the desired measurement spot, it has NOTHING to do with the temperature measurement.

It actually measures "black body" IR radiation from the target, very long IR wavelengths.

Is that so..thinking that it is measuring laser radiation since it is also falling on IR spectrum..could you attach the link that what you are stating So that i could get more on it.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi,
Read below link..i referred this link. And so i assumed.. Correct me if i'm wrong.

http://www.plaintree.com/pdf/DataSheets/Plaintree's LED vs LaserNEW.pdf
As several of us have said, you are wrong about your pyrometer using laser emissions to determine the temperature of the object at which it is pointed. The laser on that instrument is nothing more than a visible pointer. The infrared light that is emitted from an object, which is proportional to its temperature, is not laser light. It is emitted in all directions. That pyrometer detects that light. Have you read and understood that Wikipedia link on black-body radiation?

As to your comment immediately above, that sentence makes no sense to me in the context of those comments.
1) The linked article is accurate and does not support your contentions. Nevertheless, you present it as supporting your viewpoint. Please explain that apparent contradiction.
2) You cannot see infrared light (IR) with an unaided eye. In fact, its discovery and name came from the observation of a type of radiation from light that had been dispersed by a prism that couldn't be seen, yet still warmed an object in its projected path The very important fact that IR can severely and permanently damage your eyes is related to the fact that you can't see it. You are not conscious of how bright it is, nor do the protective mechanisms of the eye (iris) respond to it. Nevertheless, it penetrates the tissues of the eye and can burn the retina, which results in permanent visual defects or even blindness.

John