I put together this schematic for a motor controller:
and I am running into a problem when trying to drive a high powered 30A motor.
When i attempt to drive small fans, the schematic works just fine, but I run into a problem where my PIC18 is held in reset.
I am assuming it is because the 5V PWM line is drawing too much current from the PIC18. I think Q1 is somehow leaking current from the base and emitter which is causing the PIC18 to be held in reset.
When I disconnect the wire going to the base of Q1, the motor runs at 100%, the MOSFETs are fully on and my PIC18 runs. However, when I connect the wire again, the PIC18 is held in reset and does not run anymore.
and I am running into a problem when trying to drive a high powered 30A motor.
When i attempt to drive small fans, the schematic works just fine, but I run into a problem where my PIC18 is held in reset.
I am assuming it is because the 5V PWM line is drawing too much current from the PIC18. I think Q1 is somehow leaking current from the base and emitter which is causing the PIC18 to be held in reset.
When I disconnect the wire going to the base of Q1, the motor runs at 100%, the MOSFETs are fully on and my PIC18 runs. However, when I connect the wire again, the PIC18 is held in reset and does not run anymore.