PWM Controller

Jim_2.0

Joined May 14, 2006
Hi guys

we currently produce a 24V PWM output using a 5V PWM output from a microcontroller and then use our own circuit to gain the 24V we need.
In a new design we are wondering if there are any dedicated chips that take a serial input and give a PWM output. Kind of like a DAC i guess but with a variable PWM output rather than analogue voltage. There are plenty of PWM driver chips around such as the burr brown DRV103 but we would like a serial interface rather than analogue.

anyone know of something that may help??

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi guys

we currently produce a 24V PWM output using a 5V PWM output from a microcontroller and then use our own circuit to gain the 24V we need.
In a new design we are wondering if there are any dedicated chips that take a serial input and give a PWM output. Kind of like a DAC i guess but with a variable PWM output rather than analogue voltage. There are plenty of PWM driver chips around such as the burr brown DRV103 but we would like a serial interface rather than analogue.

anyone know of something that may help??
I think your best bet would be a microcontroller with an SPI port and a PWM output. This approach is straight forward and the implementation would be most cost effective. The unit cost in volume might be less than $1.00 US. It would also be the case that with Flash memory for programs you would not have to inventory preprogrammed chips. I'd be glad to quote such a design for you.