Puzzling Bode Plot Artifacts

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
No, they don't, that is the problem. The scope and AWG are plugged into the new hub and are communicating with each other. But for the scope to be controlled via the PC it requires a LAN connection. I do not have a wired connection in the room. Both computers are using WIFI network connections for the network printers and internet. Still need to get around to implementing backup NAS.

Will do. Heard about it but no experience with it. I did go ahead and order a hi transfer speed dual band WIFI extender with 2 ethernet ports. Already have a couple in use for laptops and entertainment center. I do much prefer wired and may at some time get the housed wired for it. So TPLink may be the solution.
I wouldn't use WIFI, I'd go with a wired network to get the best performance.

I have a couple of TPlink devices in use (along with wifi and wired for other stuff).
They are really reliable and simple to use, basically plug n play. Plug one in an outlet near your instrument hub, and another in an outlet near your router. Then plug each network device into the TPlink ethernet jacks and your ready to go.

Another option is a similar device that can use the house TV cable system.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Looked at TPLink and they make a LOT of different products. I found POE, but really should be EOP which I did not find. Got a link?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
K, think I found them but they have this caveat "Make sure all powerline devices are on the same electrical circuit." I guess that means the same breaker? Or... Same panel?

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
K, think I found them but they have this caveat "Make sure all powerline devices are on the same electrical circuit." I guess that means the same breaker? Or... Same panel?
I'm not sure, a question for product support.
My units are in adjacent rooms.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Apparently, they must be plugged into the wall of the same panel according to a factory rep. No power strips or line filters! So, I ordered the AV2000s with a pass-through outlet. Should be here Tuesday.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I received and installed the EOP AV2000 devices. I turned on the scope and did not find it shown as a network device. Using the static IP Addr for the scope I pinged it from the PC without success. I spent some time trying different things involving the network and did find that there was a small advantage to the EOP devices doing a speed test to a site in an adjacent state. My network itself is far more capable than my fiber internet feed. I finally tried setting the scope to use an automatically assigned IP Addr and when the address was shown on the scope I used the assigned IP Addr and it successfully pinged. So, I then put the newly assigned IP Addr into my Edge browser and the scope's web server appeared.

1646805889907.png
But, oddly enough, it shows the static IP Addr instead of the assigned IP Addr? It only mirrors the scope and has no control over the scope or its Bode Plot function so no control over the artifacts being generated. Which makes sense since the Bode Plot function is part of the scope's firmware. I did receive a response from Siglent that they had scheduled a test to investigate my problem that was reported to them. I responded by attaching a screen shot of the Bode Plot with the artifacts for their perusal. That was several days ago and there has been no response as yet.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I received and installed the EOP AV2000 devices. I turned on the scope and did not find it shown as a network device. Using the static IP Addr for the scope I pinged it from the PC without success. I spent some time trying different things involving the network and did find that there was a small advantage to the EOP devices doing a speed test to a site in an adjacent state. My network itself is far more capable than my fiber internet feed. I finally tried setting the scope to use an automatically assigned IP Addr and when the address was shown on the scope I used the assigned IP Addr and it successfully pinged. So, I then put the newly assigned IP Addr into my Edge browser and the scope's web server appeared.
I suggest you now make that address static so you will always know where to find the scope. If oyu keep it as DHCP it can bounce around and you will occasionally have to check the scope to find it again.

Just use the .110 address it was assigned and it will always be there.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013

View attachment 262362
But, oddly enough, it shows the static IP Addr instead of the assigned IP Addr? It only mirrors the scope and has no control over the scope or its Bode Plot function so no control over the artifacts being generated. Which makes sense since the Bode Plot function is part of the scope's firmware. I did receive a response from Siglent that they had scheduled a test to investigate my problem that was reported to them. I responded by attaching a screen shot of the Bode Plot with the artifacts for their perusal. That was several days ago and there has been no response as yet.
Glad you got the devices communicating with each other.
Your message is a little confusing though...

But, oddly enough, it shows the static IP Addr instead of the assigned IP Addr? It only mirrors the scope and has no control over the scope or its Bode Plot function so no control over the artifacts being generated.
Do you mean that you cannot point, select, edit anything on the page? Is it possible you are not logged on the server page? It looks like it requires a default "logon and password" that you can later change if you wish.
You might check your manual on how to set it back to its defaults (you'll probably have to reconfigure the network settings if you do this).

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I suggest you now make that address static so you will always know where to find the scope. If oyu keep it as DHCP it can bounce around and you will occasionally have to check the scope to find it again.

Just use the .110 address it was assigned and it will always be there.
That's the problem, with the static address it doesn't find it? Weird...

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That's the problem, with the static address it doesn't find it? Weird...
It’s possible but seems extremely unlikely that if your use exactly the same information in that screen but make it static that it won’t work. I would be exceedingly surprised by that.

The only difference would be the scope not making DHCP requests. There is only one scenario that I can think of where it would be the case that is only works with DHCP. That would be if router is using some form of port security an refuses to route any address it hasn’t assigned. That’s really unlikely though since it would be odd for a home network,

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Do you mean that you cannot point, select, edit anything on the page? Is it possible you are not logged on the server page? It looks like it requires a default "logon and password" that you can later change if you wish.
You might check your manual on how to set it back to its defaults (you'll probably have to reconfigure the network settings if you do this).
When I open the Siglent Web Server there are 4 "menu buttons" on the left side of the page. Home -display only shows model, maker, serial number, etc. LAN Config - display only shown is previous msg. Instrument Control - display only which is password protected but after entering pwd only mirrors the scope without any control of it. SCPI (scope control programming interface?) - which is a single command line input with an output response display. Very primitive!
There are no real scope control functions. The scope has a touch screen, but I prefer to use a mouse so at my keyboard I have 2, one for my PC and one for the scope. I can have almost full control of the scope with the mouse. Right hand for mouse and left hand for span knobs or print buttons.
But, my real problem of Bode Plot Artifacts is in the firmware of the scope itself. And, yes, I have the latest firmware update installed. Siglent is scheduled to look into my complaint.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
It’s possible but seems extremely unlikely that if your use exactly the same information in that screen but make it static that it won’t work. I would be exceedingly surprised by that.
As am I! I tried it several times. That is what I was initially doing and finally had a "gee what if" moment and set it to dynamic and it worked! Scratched my head and tried static address again and still nothing. The AWG has a static address, and I can connect it to the scope. The scope then, in the Bode Plot function, sets the parameters of the AWG through the LAN connection by using its internal firmware programming. Scopes internal AWG is limited to ±3Vp & 20MHz where the external is ±20Vp & whatever Hz it is capable of up to the limit of the scope. Which here is 100MHz or 350MHz for my 2 input one.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
@Yaakov Don't know if I would even use it but the screen shows no controls or a button to open them? Or, was that LabView Visa that you showed?
1646852991263.png

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Hmmm... There was, and when I clicked on it, it took me to a Siglent Products-Overview site?