Push/Pull Electromagnet

Caleeb

Joined Feb 28, 2016
An electromagnet will normally "pull" towards any nearby magnetic material, but you can get it to "push" or repel a permanent magnet if the two have the same magnetic pole polarity.
YES BUT HOW?! I'm only 14 but I sincerely want to know this. I have ideas on ElectroMagnetics but no one takes me seriously.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Welcome to AAC!

A thread belongs to the OP (original poster). Trying to take over someone elses thread is called hijacking, which is not allowed at All About Circuits. I have therefore given you a thread of your very own.

This was split from http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/push-pull-electromagnet.66389/#post-971017

To answer your question, when you make an electromagnet the polarity of the battery determines which is the North Pole and which is the South pole. Alike poles repel. So if your permanent magnet is attracted to the electromagnet switch the battery connections.

Colin55

Joined Aug 27, 2015
If your electromagnet is just picking up a piece of metal, it will always attract. You have to pick up a magnet to get attraction or repulsion.