push pull converter simulation fails

kingdeking

Joined Jul 24, 2019
Hello,

i want to simulate a push pull converter to check my knowledge. So i came up with the circuit from the internet.
The green plot on the image is the voltage on the inductor which doesnt make much sene to me. What i was expecting is
a voltage on the inductor between -6V to 6V (PWM type of signal). Can anybody help me with this stuff?
What i also noticed is the voltage between the 2 capactiors is not 6V instead it seems like one capacitor is getting 9V and the other one only 3V. Why is that? The two capacitors form a voltage divider and they re equal....

Any hints or working simulations for me? Or a design tutorial with calculations?

I have also checked the pulses of the gates and they are 180° shifted in phase, so that only one of the transistors is turned on, then the other and the cycle repeats.

pleaseee thank u

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The upper Mosfet is a follower that needs its gate pulse voltage to be at least 4.5V higher than the supply voltage.
A voltage converter uses "bootstrapping" with a capacitor and a diode to obtain that boosted gate voltage.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
What is the purpose of the two capacitors?
If you want to block DC to the transformer, then just use a single capacitor between the push-pull output and one transformer input with the other transformer input to ground.

kingdeking

Joined Jul 24, 2019
The upper Mosfet is a follower that needs its gate pulse voltage to be at least 4.5V higher than the supply voltage.
A voltage converter uses "bootstrapping" with a capacitor and a diode to obtain that boosted gate voltage.
My god, how could I miss that. Thank you so much.

What is the purpose of the two capacitors?
If you want to block DC to the transformer, then just use a single capacitor between the push-pull output and one transformer input with the other transformer input to ground.
The two caps form a capactive voltage divider. So what i get is 6V between them since they equal.

Seems to be working now. Im getting what I was expecting.

Attachments