Pulled chip from board and circuit traces came up too. Need help figuring where they went.

Pewphead

Joined May 15, 2017
I'm still in the learning process but I'm not entirely clueless. I bought a kit from china and while soldering components on, I realized there were 2, 8 lead chips, not just 1. I soldered the wrong one down and in the process of removing it, I also removes a few circuit board traces, so I can't exactly just plop the right chip down. If at all possible, could someone tell me what lead would go to what component if I showed you a picture of the board and the datasheet of the chip?

Thanks in advance.

The chip is an XKT-510
Datasheet http://www.datasheetspdf.com/PDF/XKT-510/916346/1

I attached a picture of the board. My soldering sucks because I was using a very dull point on my soldering iron.

Attachments

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I can't see any traces well enough to make any suggestions. Why don't you try cleaning the mess you left on the board and posting a better picture.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
If at all possible, could someone tell me what lead would go to what component if I showed you a picture of the board and the datasheet of the chip?
You'd probably have better luck if you got a picture of an unpopulated board from the kit seller.

However you remove any remaining solder from the board to attempt a repair, make sure you don't lift anything else. The pads are attached to the board by an epoxy/adhesive that melts at elevated soldering temperatures.

Once you clean up the board, you can attach new pads using a repair kit; or if you prefer, adhesive backed copper tape. You can also repair the traces using that method, but you might find using point to point wiring with #30 wire easier.

For future reference when removing SMT components. If you don't have a hot air tool, you need to use some low temperature solder (like Chip Quick) so you can keep the solder on *all* pins molten before attempting to remove a component.

For 2 pin devices, you can get something like this:
upload_2017-5-20_8-31-11.png

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
this piece is a goner for sure.

Heres a guideline for SMD soldering

Use a 50W station at 310 degrees C + a broad tip.
Tin one pad and attach the IC and tip the joint a little.
Put solder all across the pins generously.
Simply pull off excess solder with the broad tip. It does NOT work with a point tip these are mostly rubbish actually.

Removing, you do similar. Bridge all pins and melt up the blobs, IC will come off easily.

Never heat up a pad or pads area for long time, result see above.

You dont need fine solder either any 0.7mm or 1mm kind will do. Lead solder is easier and cheaper but tin solder also is possible needs to be good quality.

For small parts bluetack is quite helpful to secure the first joint connection. A must for SMD work besides SOIC, doesnt really need it.

Inspect carefully with a good light + at least 4x magnification for bridges/missed joints. If so, drag off excess solder / reheat the joint.