PSC - 240V - Help wiring for male plug

Samuel_adelman

Joined Jan 21, 2017
Hey all!

Been an adventure dealing with this motor, I certainly have learned a lot and I couldnt have done it without this forum.

Next on the agenda, perhaps the final part of my project, is wiring this motor to a male plug to put into a 240V receptacle.

The receptacle that will be receiving the plug is a NEMA 14-30R:
upload_2017-1-24_14-44-40.jpeg
And the plug will the appropriated one for this outlet.

My question today, is that I have 3 wires that come out of this motor:
1.Green - Ground
2. White (Common/Neutral?)
3. Red (Live, Low Speed)

How would I go about wiring this:

Obviously, there is a wire missing. So far from my research I have gathered that both of the two terminals on either side are the line, the top is ground(green) and bottom is neutral.

So, from what I gather, one of the two terminals on whatever side will be vacant.

Is this correct?

Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Normally the bottom is N and the two verticle ones are the L1 L2, with top as GND.
So you are correct, just one vertical used.
You could have got a 20 or larger 3pin if you had wished to.
Max.

Samuel_adelman

Joined Jan 21, 2017
Normally the bottom is N and the two verticle ones are the L1 L2, with top as GND.
So you are correct, just one vertical used.
You could have got a 20 or larger 3pin if you had wished to.
Max.
Thanks so much!
I do not want to change the existing plug to a 3 terminal, because then I'd have to re-wire the dryer. For this case, it seems better suit to simply wire this plug to fit right in.

Thanks for the help, also, I did get a double throw switch for the issue I brought up yesterday. Its funny, I knew what I needed, but didnt know such a product existed for that purpose. It's already wired and ready to go.

Thanks for the help, my next project will be taking a single phase motor and creating a custom extendable wood lathe.