Prototyping an Invention: Motorized Camera Slider

Cpants21

Joined Apr 11, 2019
Good day friends,

I am an inventor, DIY, learn everything, ADD person. I have been researching and attempting to prototype a motorized camera slider. While I have the design for the slider already pretty well established, I am in need of assistance of the appropriate method by which I can automate it. Just to clarify, a camera slider is simply two rods with low resistance bearing wheels that allow the camera ( maxing out at 25lbs ) to move in a steady motion without jerking or shaking. I am building one that has 3 separate motors that need to have the capacity to move simultaneously ( with that max weight ), and that ideally can follow a predetermined pathway.

THE PURPOSE:
To be smooth moving, silent, can start and stop with bezier curves, go forward and backward, controlled via Bluetooth, and be controlled via an app or controller.

THE PROBLEM(s):
I have figured out how to connect the motors to the Arduino board to move them, however, I am struggling to find a solution to this following problem:
I need to program the motors to move along a bezier pattern, and for the life of me, I cannot find an article or forum that is answering the problem. If you know of a forum that has solved this or would like to answer the question yourself, I would deeply appreciate it.

THE END RESULT:
Ideally, I will program specific pathway presets into an app that will automatically move the motors in the way that I have set. I will integrate a loop function that will repeat presets. I will also program the app so that people can create their own movements and presets based on their current project. In order for my perfectionistic tendencies to be fully satisfied, I need these movements to start and stop using a bezier pathway.

MY EXPERIENCE:
Beginner - Intermediate
Self Taught

ADDITIONAL ADVICE:
If anyone has suggestions on motors that are silent, low RPM, reversible, brushless, and have high torque ( enough to move max 25lbs across a bearing track, and twist on the z axis and y axis ) it would be greatly appreciated.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
It would take me hours of research to find out what you are talking about.

Have you got some pictures or even better, a video of your description? Please define your terms and components.

How does one start and stop with a curve?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

This paper from TI http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt482/slyt482.pdf might offer some insights. Though it is written for steppers and not BLDC motors, it discusses basic problems.

Your problem statement was very good, but drawings, schematics, and narrative descriptions of use cases will help others to help you here.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I'm having difficulty understanding the path you want the camera to follow. You say the slider is two rods. Are those straight and mutually parallel, or do they follow a fixed bezier curve? What does "start and stop with bezier curves" mean?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I'm having difficulty understanding the path you want the camera to follow. You say the slider is two rods. Are those straight and mutually parallel, or do they follow a fixed bezier curve? What does "start and stop with bezier curves" mean?
it is an acceleration curve. Not the path of the slider.