Protoboard mountable toggle switches

nadimaj

Joined May 28, 2013
I bought these thinking I could mount and solder them onto my protoboard, but to my surprise the pins are about 0.5mm too wide and the pin spacing doesn't appear standard either. First question: Can someone point me in the direction of protoboard mountable toggle switches? Second question, exactly where would you use these types of switches?

Thanks

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Without a datasheet, it is very hard to determine the dimensions. Why did you think it would fit? What did you think the "standard" pin spacing for a toggle switch was?

Check out the hundreds of similar looking SPST switches at DigiKey or any other distributor. A lot seem to be 0.185" spacing, which does not match 0.100" protoboard.

Query1: Go to your favorite distributor's site, search for the switch you want, and try to find one that matches your protoboard. That is hard to do. I just solder a standard toggle to a 0.1" pitch pin header, then use that on the protoboard. If necessary, short, solid wire is used to connect the switch to the pin header. Actually, I usually use a push-button switch on a protoboard.

Query2: They are for panel mount with connecting wires or a purpose-made PCB.

nadimaj

Joined May 28, 2013
Thanks for the response. Until now, I had assumed anything that was marketed as "PCB mount" meant it could be mounted into the standard spacing on a protoboard. I've gotten away with this (wrong) assumptin on a lot of occasions. Half the components I've sourced for my protoboards were marketed as PCB mount.

On RS, there's no filter for pitch size or pin size, so that's not very useful. However, I did find one that claims 0.1in spacing but I'm not so sure of those pins are of the same type as one would find for a standard pin header row. This part is not obvious when browsing for components.

Thanks

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
On RS, there's no filter for pitch size or pin size, so that's not very useful. However, I did find one that claims 0.1in spacing but I'm not so sure of those pins are of the same type as one would find for a standard pin header row. This part is not obvious when browsing for components.

Thanks
Spacing looks OK. As for hole diameter, a standard pin header with 0.1" spacing has square pins that are 0.025" on a side (diagonal = 0.035"). The rectangular pins shown by RS have a diagonal of 0.036". That difference (0.001" or 0.0254 mm) shouldn't make much difference with round holes in a solderable protoboard.

If it is a non-solderable protoboard, be aware that while the standard square pin fits, it is a bit tight and may "spring" contacts in a really cheap board more easily. Also, the holes on a non-solderable board are not round and the difference between 0.025" and 0.030" may make a difference if it is oriented the wrong way. I suspect you can still force it in regardless of orientation, but you may have a greater risk of damaging the contact.

nadimaj

Joined May 28, 2013
Buy some pin headers that are on 0.1" spacing, mangle one end to match the switch, and solder it.

Then the pins are perfect size and pitch.
The thing is I've commited to this design. Purchased a lot of materials that were expecting the PCB to be mounted near to the surface.

nadimaj

Joined May 28, 2013
Spacing looks OK. As for hole diameter, a standard pin header with 0.1" spacing has square pins that are 0.025" on a side (diagonal = 0.035"). The rectangular pins shown by RS have a diagonal of 0.036". That difference (0.001" or 0.0254 mm) shouldn't make much difference with round holes in a solderable protoboard.
I'll take my chances! Thank you.