Protection

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by garyp@Mar 20 2006, 10:19 PM
does anyone know of a good over current/over voltage protection circuit i can add to a power supply.
[post=15201]Quoted post[/post]​
What range of current and voltage are you talking about.

garyp

Joined Feb 17, 2006
Originally posted by windoze killa@Mar 20 2006, 06:25 AM
What range of current and voltage are you talking about.
[post=15202]Quoted post[/post]​
i've got a 14v and about 0.25 - 1A

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
A fuse followed by a 2 watt zener, say.... 16 volts.
If the current exceeds the fuse rating , the fuse blows. If the voltage exceeds the zener voltage, the zener "crowbars", and blows the fuse.

Thats the simple way.

Another way would be to build a voltage and current regulator for your Power supply. A little more complicated, but well worth it for a versitile hobby power supply.

garyp

Joined Feb 17, 2006
Originally posted by windoze killa@Mar 23 2006, 04:30 PM
Do a search for crowbar protection.
[post=15363]Quoted post[/post]​
i have just added a crowbar to my circuit but i am having a problem. when i turn the power on the initial surge is tripping the protection circuit. i think i need some kind of soft start circuit as i have proved that if i apply the voltage gradually it doesn't trip.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by garyp@Mar 24 2006, 11:44 AM
i have just added a crowbar to my circuit but i am having a problem. when i turn the power on the initial surge is tripping the protection circuit. i think i need some kind of soft start circuit as i have proved that if i apply the voltage gradually it doesn't trip.
[post=15366]Quoted post[/post]​
You could try an inductor in series with the O/P line and capacitor to ground prior to the crowbar. This should remove any spikes or sudden changes.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
If it were me, I think I would be rebuilding the Power supply, using a transformer with a few extra volts, and feeding the rectified output into a basic series regulator..(say an LM317) set up for 13.8 volts (or what ever voltage is required). They have built in current limit (1.5 amp) built in Thermal protection, and of course the voltage remains constant.
NB, I must admit I've never trusted the Current limit on these, so I'd probably fuse protect the output (just in case)....