Proposal for a GDO project.

52midnight

Joined Aug 29, 2017
I've only just joined AAC and am much impressed. I'd like to suggest a project for which I don't myself have time or resources, but would be happy to undertake with others.

There's a great deal of discussion about the introduction of 5G, and considerable concern about the possible health risks of wide-spread increases in the frequency bands allocated. Some may be alarmist and some factual, but the only way we'll know for sure is by equally wide-spread monitoring by knowledgeable individuals. The AAC community is obviously a suitable milieu.

Those of ... ahem! ... a certain age may fondly recall a device known as a GDO. Younger folk can pummel their search engines to find out why the Grid Dip Oscillator was so called, but once enlightened will understand my proposal to design a modern version.

Commercial instruments are undoubtedly on offer, but I'm thinking of using the brilliant ESP32 or something similar to provide a cheaper and far more versatile one.

If there are already projects going along these lines I'd appreciate knowing of them. Otherwise, is there any interest amongst AAC Forum Members in starting one?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I've only just joined AAC and am much impressed. I'd like to suggest a project for which I don't myself have time or resources, but would be happy to undertake with others.

There's a great deal of discussion about the introduction of 5G, and considerable concern about the possible health risks of wide-spread increases in the frequency bands allocated. Some may be alarmist and some factual, but the only way we'll know for sure is by equally wide-spread monitoring by knowledgeable individuals. The AAC community is obviously a suitable milieu.

Those of ... ahem! ... a certain age may fondly recall a device known as a GDO. Younger folk can pummel their search engines to find out why the Grid Dip Oscillator was so called, but once enlightened will understand my proposal to design a modern version.

Commercial instruments are undoubtedly on offer, but I'm thinking of using the brilliant ESP32 or something similar to provide a cheaper and far more versatile one.

If there are already projects going along these lines I'd appreciate knowing of them. Otherwise, is there any interest amongst AAC Forum Members in starting one?
Amazing, it is exactly 5 to midnight here.
Yes, I do have a GDO. Just have to find where I put it. Mine uses a vacuum tube. Newer ones used a FET.

Yes, I would be interested in a modern GDO.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016

You want to use us as guinea pigs? We all know that radio waves are bad for the health(phones, wifi and everything else), the stronger they become the greater the hazard. If you want to see how great go near a radio transmitting tower.

52midnight

Joined Aug 29, 2017
> Yes, I would be interested in a modern GDO.

OK. So we're starting from scratch, and if you aKtually HAVE a GDO then you're well ahead of me.

Let's use this forum to figure out what capabilities and assets are available, and let it go from there.

When I first came across the ESP32 I was so ... amazed at its possibilities that I just purchased half a dozen; but now that I understand it better I realize that a more considered approach is needed. More to the point, it may not be the ideal device for the project: there may be superior alternatives. OTOH, once we've decided on a chip/device it will be necessary to stick with it. Improved devices will certainly appear, but trying to keep up with them will be impossible.

A Project Specification is probably the best place to start. If you agree on this I can post something to begin with.

Thanks indeed for your interest.