Project Parts Research

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I foresee many diverse small electronics projects in my future. Instead of me coming back here and asking what part I should choose each time, I think a more general question is in due.

Is there any general database, or search engine for looking up parts, based on some characteristics?

For example, say I want a transistor for switching purposes that can handle 12V and 100mA.
Or an OpAmp with a GBP of 2MHz, 1MΩ input resistance and dual supply.

Do I have a friend besides Google?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I foresee many diverse small electronics projects in my future. Instead of me coming back here and asking what part I should choose each time, I think a more general question is in due.

Is there any general database, or search engine for looking up parts, based on some characteristics?

For example, say I want a transistor for switching purposes that can handle 12V and 100mA.
Or an OpAmp with a GBP of 2MHz, 1MΩ input resistance and dual supply.

Do I have a friend besides Google?
Digikey.com has a very nice parametric searchable database that I use often. You can start with the general class of part you are looking for, and then quickly limit your search by selecting parameters. Finally, you can sort your results in price based upon the quantity you require. Don't know if they ship to Greece, though.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Many suppliers' websites have parametric search facilities, for instance Farnell and RS Components. Often there is also easy access to manufacturers data from such sites, often with less hassle than from some "free datasheet" sites.

Whether or not they ship to your area, you may be able to get such information. Some sites may restrict access to only areas they are sure to trade with, but I'm pretty sure many don't bother about it.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Good question.

I don't think there is a comprehensive listing that would be useful. For me personally, I have learned from experience, picking up from what others are using. We all used a 2N2222 or a 2N3055, TIP31, 7805 at some point because everyone else uses them. If I were to show my age, we knew when to use a OC71 and not OC72 or a 12AX7 or 6L6 and KT88. Eventually someone tries something new and the word gets around.

I would say AAC is your best source of info.

Blofeld

Joined Feb 21, 2010
Georacer, I've read your thread about the electronics club that you started, is this thread here related to this effort ? If yes, you might try to define some "standard parts" instead of choosing individual parts for each project. So for each project you would ask whether you can implement it with your standard parts (if necessary, you might even consider relaxing the requirements for the project a little).

For example, in "The Art of Electronics" the LF411 op amp was selected as a "good all-around performer" and recommended as a good starting point for circuit designs (the book is from 1989, but I'm sure people in the forum can suggest to you a more modern Op Amp).

There are some advantages if you try to standardize on a few parts:
If the students in your club have "massacred" or lost a part they can still use a part from another project, there is less risk that their efforts are delayed due to missing parts. Students are less surprised by different behavior of the parts. Also, if they try to design a circuit on their own and do not fully understand the relevant parameters, they have at least a decent chance to get it working if they use a "good all-around" op amp instead of a more specialized part.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Yes, the Electronics Club was what I had in mind in my first post.

And your idea is very interesting, thank you. Once we delve a bit more deeply into the projects I 'll make a parts list for you to fill out.

Thanks.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I think Blofeld has a great idea. Us oldtimers have favorite components that we tend to fall back on. But I have seen on AAC folks offering newer selections that offer better performance we have not come across by ourselves such as a good rail-to-rail single supply opamp or a LDO regulator. There are so much to choose from that it must be very intimidating and overwhelming for the uninitiated.

I suggest we start a list of GP components and people can offer up their recommendations.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I think a GP list should work well if we can offer no more than 6 to 12 examples of a given category for folks to consider or alternatives to obsolete items such as XR8038.

I would not include logic gates. The choices are a bit simpler. You choose 74XX TTL series or 4XXX CMOS series and look up the function desired.

For MCU, there are way too many choices to list.

I am typing up a list. You can post your ideas and I will add them to one comprehensive list.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
That is an excellent idea. A general purpose part list is a very handy tool for anyone doing projects on a regular basis.

It can also help someone build a stock of parts in his home lab, and not have to go shopping for every project.

It will also take some of the weight from General Electronics chat and Electronic Resources.

I can't wait for that list.

You guys post your suggestions and I 'll sum them up in a unanimous list.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Okay, I will copy MrChips' list into a sticky onto General Electronics Chat. I will populate it as this thread goes on.

Thank you for your enthusiasm guys!

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
A fine general search engine, thanks. But it doesn't fill in the GP list's place. I 'll try to use it as much as I can, though.