project on electric automobiles

Parv Bhavsar

Joined Apr 12, 2016
I am doing some theoretical calculations in which I have to find a relative airspeed for moving car.
For example,
My car is moving 60mph and I have placed a wind turbine on the front of automobile.
So, can I say that the air colliding on blades of turbine is 60mph.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Depends on the airflow direction relative to the blades. The air gets displaced in order to move over, under and on either side of the car and creates turbulence.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
So are you planning to use the wind turbine to drive the electric motors that move the vehicle?

I hope this is not a college level engineering project. :rolleyes:

Parv Bhavsar

Joined Apr 12, 2016
[QU OTE="tcmtech, post: 997670, member: 222921"]So are you planning to use the wind turbine to drive the electric motors that move the vehicle?

I hope this is not a college level engineering project. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
No
I am planning to give energy to auxiliary systen like lightning and air conditioner compressor in electric car

Parv Bhavsar

Joined Apr 12, 2016
And that will use less energy than running the fan from the batteries or having a window or vent open how? o_O
I am changing some vent on front of the car to give it the aerodynamic characteristics of formula 1 car.
Without having much exterior design change.
Just some vent and tunnel will be added.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
[QU OTE="tcmtech, post: 997670, member: 222921"]So are you planning to use the wind turbine to drive the electric motors that move the vehicle?

I hope this is not a college level engineering project. :rolleyes:
No
I am planning to give energy to auxiliary systen like lightning and air conditioner compressor in electric car[/QUOTE]

I suspect you have not done the energy demands Vs multiple conversion loss calculations yet for any of that to find out how much energy the battery system will have to put out to ultimately run the AC system through the multiple stages of conversions plus the added weight of all the extra components?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I am planning to give energy to auxiliary systen like lightning and air conditioner compressor in electric car
Have you checked the power input requirements for the A/C compressor? For a car it's typically ~3kW (4HP). A turbine to create that amount of energy would need to be a lot bigger diameter than the car width! And lightning in a car probably isn't what you want :D.
Think about the physics of what you are proposing. The turbine would rotate only because of the car's forward motion. Therefore, any energy you extract from the turbine must come from the car's motional energy, which in turn comes from the car battery. The turbine is a lot less than 100% efficient, therefore it would be more efficient to power the lighting/compressor directly from the battery.