Project help for someone with no electrical experience.

cwaldhart

Joined Jul 20, 2017
I'm looking for help on a project my uncle asked me to work on. I have the general idea but cannot figure out the electrical side. Basically we are trying to make an "automatic opening and closing door". We want the door to slide open with a button press, and close with another button press. Basically, when the door slides open to the furthest position, the door would press the second button, starting the closing process. I also don't know how the door would know when to stop. So I guess is this even achievable? And would someone be able to help us? My uncle can sudo read schematics but we're both pretty new to this. Thank you to anyone willing to give it a shot!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The opening and closing positions can be sensed by limit switches.

Do you have any idea on how you might want to power the door?
If it's not too large a door, a junk car door automatic window mechanism might work.

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
I think a little more info would be helpful to give others an idea of what you are trying to do! Are you trying to open a Pocket door, standard door, Garage door or some other type of door?

There are things in place in office and hospitals under the ADA act so maybe finding something like that would be easier to install. There is a lot of things that are involved when your talking about Auto. Remember the people that have them in place have already experienced most of the short falls. One the ability to hurt someone if there isn't protections in the design.

Everything you would do without having much electronics background is going to be at your own risk and could be very costly if not done right. Maybe not in the cost of the design and building. However if something goes wrong

cwaldhart

Joined Jul 20, 2017
Think of it as a set piece for like theater I guess? Its going to be lightweight, probably foam board. It would closely resemble a pocket door. This is a temporary build. We're trying to make a secret lab door that opens when an id card is "scanned" (really the card would be activating the first button to start the door opening sequence.) its all meant to look like it's reading the card. I found a video on YouTube of a guy who use a timing belt with the correct gears and we're gonna use the same mechanic to open and close the door.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Basically, when the door slides open to the furthest position, the door would press the second button, starting the closing process.
Are you sure is that what you actually need? The door is closing by itself as soon as it is wide open? Or there is an operator that will push the button to start the closing?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You could base the design on the method used by the typical garage door that only uses one button to open close, they use end limits and a tensioned switch in the case of the door hitting an object on the way up or down.
Max.

cwaldhart

Joined Jul 20, 2017
Are you sure is that what you actually need? The door is closing by itself as soon as it is wide open? Or there is an operator that will push the button to start the closing?
Yes. This is an interactive set for kids. They get an id card to let them into a secret lab. They insert the key card, starting the door opening sequence. They take the card back and walk through immediately. So yes I want it to start the closing as soon as the door reaches the full open position.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There is quite a few motor control diagrams using relay/P.B. Logic that could easily be adapted for your application.
Telemecanique wiring diagrams
The exception would be the card reader and the nature of its output, but should be able to be integrated into a simple reverser..
Max.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Use a windscreen wiper motor on lower volts to slow it down and trigger it to start running. Then let it run to the auto home position = door closed.
But, connect to the door with a magnet or elastic or some other option to let it not cut kids in half ;)