Project Guidance - Lego Sorting Machine: Raspberry Pi or Jetson Nano?

danielantonic

Joined Sep 22, 2019
Hello all

I am working on a project that will sort Lego parts by type using a CNN. Ultimately, I want it to be able to classify over 1000 different parts (possibly more), and the current Raspberry Pi 3B I am using is not up to the task to say the least...

I was thinking of getting a Jetson Nano dev kit as the 128 GPU cores sounds good and it uses a 40 pin GPIO which will interface with the existing drivers/servos etc. but they aren't available at the moment. Is there another SBC that would be suitable for my purposes?

tepalia02

Joined May 13, 2022
Something like that. I actually talked to Daniel West for some advice when I initially started, but he went down the path of outsourcing the number crunching to another computer via REST - I really want to have it as a stand alone unit.
I think Raspberry Pi will be an easier choice than Jetson Nano.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020

danielantonic

Joined Sep 22, 2019
You may be limited in speed through the USB if you plan to use this with your current Pi. Upgrading to RPi4B will give you some high speed USB 3.0.
Yep, thought of that but I can't seem to find a RPi4 in stock. I've ordered one so waiting for it to come in.

Last edited:

danielantonic

Joined Sep 22, 2019
This uses RPi to operate the machine, but a 'more powerful computer' (a laptop?) to process the AI. See the video from 2:20.
Yes, that is why I thought a Jetson Nano or RPi4 with a compute stick would be possible all in one solutions, I'm just not sure what the pros/cons are between them, or if there is another SBC alternative given the main computing task will be image comparison against a TensorFlow model with possibly thousands of parts. Any help here is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: