Project enclosures with removable panels?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Not sure where this belonged so I figured I would put it here. If a mod wants to move it that is fine with me.

I was wondering if someone made project enclosures with removable panels. The reason I would like to cut the panels with my cheap Chinese CNC machine. So I would need to place the panel flat on the engraving bed.

Preferably ABS. Something easy to cut.

I have seen plenty of enclosures with removable tops but I might want to place the front panel on one of the sides so the box can lay flat. For example, a box that might be 6x6x3. Likely the removable "top" will be on the 6x6 side. I would want the front panel on the 6x3 side.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Not sure where this belonged so I figured I would put it here. If a mod wants to move it that is fine with me.

I was wondering if someone made project enclosures with removable panels. The reason I would like to cut the panels with my cheap Chinese CNC machine. So I would need to place the panel flat on the engraving bed.

Preferably ABS. Something easy to cut.

I have seen plenty of enclosures with removable tops but I might want to place the front panel on one of the sides so the box can lay flat. For example, a box that might be 6x6x3. Likely the removable "top" will be on the 6x6 side. I would want the front panel on the 6x3 side.
I don't know what your front part is but Hammond enclosures might have a solution.
Question for my interest only:
What is the highest Z movement of your CNC machine.
Min and max refs/min.
Max mill size, x and y feed.
Reason: I do have a few big ones (0.1 to 20mm mill with 2 HP 8000 refs/min with a feed x,y,z of 100 meter/min max)
A smaller one could be handy and less noisy if you want to make one.
I keep de big ones when I have to make more than one. ( depending on size but 10 boxes of 50 x 60 x 45 mm in one go happens often)

Picbuster

Picbuster

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
How difficult would it be to make the whole box on the CNC from flat plastic sheet and make it look reasonable? That way it would be the exactly the right size, which I often find a problem, ending up using a much larger box than actually needed.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
How difficult would it be to make the whole box on the CNC from flat plastic sheet and make it look reasonable? That way it would be the exactly the right size, which I often find a problem, ending up using a much larger box than actually needed.

For someone that has good CAD/CAM experience not hard at all. I am not that someone. ;)