Project boxes

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
A lot depends on your location.
Here in Oz, I buy from Jaycar as they are local. But RS Componants or Element14 (Farnell) too, and of course Ebay.
But I also 3D print quite a few. https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=enclosure&type=things&sort=relevant&customizable=1 is a search for customizable enclosures that you enter the various parameters and the file is made for you to go ahead and print.
I have also designed some to print as well. https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=dendad51&type=things&sort=relevant has my stuff. Some are boxes or other designs I have done, while others are thing I have modified.
There are some really good designers who publish their work on thingiverse. I am not one of those, my designs are pretty basic!
For example...
ArduinoBox.png

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Depends on what you are seeking.
1) Size
2) Material, plastic, metal, wood sides
3) Handheld, bench top
4) Battery powered, mains, or adapter powered
5) Sloping features
6) LCD window, controls, buttons, keypad

Kevinscouch

Joined Jun 23, 2020
Looking for a box that is 9 in long by 2in X 2in. I am going to be drilling some 5 mm holes to place some leds in and also to hold my circuit board. Just a simple plastic box I think will do.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You are going to have a difficult time finding a box with those dimensions.

The only solutions I have to offer is extruded aluminum or print it on a 3D printer or make it out of wood.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Looking for a box that is 9 in long by 2in X 2in. I am going to be drilling some 5 mm holes to place some leds in and also to hold my circuit board. Just a simple plastic box I think will do.
What I have used for simple one-off projects where there is no mains power entering, just low voltage DC etc, is ones sold by Dollar store etc.
They have snap shut fasteners on the sides and can be drilled for toggle switch, LED etc.
But that dimension is a little rare.
Max.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Back in the tube radio days, there was a lot of fabricating with sheet aluminum using self-tapping sheet metal screws or rivets. That required a small tabletop sheet metal brake though. Not much of that anymore but there are lots of hard plastic boxes now including waterproof ones. I usually find something close to what I envision on fleabay or AliExpress. Just don't be in a hurry to receive it or pay more and usually can find the same box on Amazon with fast delivery. All of the big parts houses also sell boxes but not quite as cheaply plus shipping and handling charges also.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I keep a bin for scrap pieces of plastic from anything discarded, mostly PVC. When I need an odd shaped small enclosure I make it out of the scrap bin. Crazy glue works well as an adhesive.
3/32" plastic will break very cleanly if it is scored deeply on both sides using a sharp knife. The edges can be finished by rubbing them on a sheet of medium sandpaper flat on the bench top.

Vol 014.jpg

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Also look in craft stores (Michaels comes to mind) as they usually have quite a few plastic boxes available. Some not suitable but you may get lucky if you have one near you.