Building your own project boxes?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have not build my own project box in years. Well I haven't built any projects in years either. :)

What is the best way to build a box out of aluminum? Is it 4 bends for the top / sides and 4 bends for the bottom / front / rear?

Or is there a better way?

Any decent free CAD software for designing boxes?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My opinion, 3 sides X2. You can put everything in one piece, and the other is the lid.

Mostly done with folding.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
If they are boxes for electrical circuits it would be better to be plastic. If you use metalic boxes then you need to ground them if you use high voltages.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
My opinion, 3 sides X2. You can put everything in one piece, and the other is the lid.

Mostly done with folding.
Sorry having a hard time envisioning that. Is there a drawing somewhere with what you mean? Can it be bent with a hand brake? Or do you need to fashion your own brake?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If they are boxes for electrical circuits it would be better to be plastic. If you use metalic boxes then you need to ground them if you use high voltages.
It would be low voltage. How do you make your own plastic boxes without building a mold?

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
I use a plain old common brake and bend two u-shaped pieces, one with "lips" and interlock them to make an enclosed box. It's about the easiest way going. 5 minutes and 4 sheet netal screws and its done. PM me if you need dimensions
Bob

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
For small packages I've seen people just shrink wrap the board. But honestly Digikey has so many varieties for cheap enough I'll just buy one I want for the specific project.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I use a plain old common brake and bend two u-shaped pieces, one with "lips" and interlock them to make an enclosed box. It's about the easiest way going. 5 minutes and 4 sheet netal screws and its done. PM me if you need dimensions
Bob
This is the way I remember it being done but don't you wind up with a gap at each of the corners? Or is it not noticeable?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008

Same thing as he said. You can use square stock to make mounting flanges.

I don't have a break. I do have a bench vise, combine that with a large square chunk of metal and you can bend pretty neatly. A break would be better though. While I'm wishing I want a shear too. :D

I had a thread about a year ago for something similar. Finding a source for premade square mounting flanges would be nice.

Electronic Enclosures

Attachments

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Like mik3, I buy boxes rather than make my own. I do so since I know that if I decide to make an additional device, I will be able to quickly get my hands an identical box.

hgmjr

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Like mik3, I buy boxes rather than make my own. I do so since I know that if I decide to make an additional device, I will be able to quickly get my hands an identical box.

hgmjr

I do the same.

I will sometimes use plexiglass as a shield, which can be bent when warmed, but that is a tricky operation compared to putting sheet metal in a brake. Usually buy 3x the amount of plexiglass you intend to use, and one will come out right for a drill press shield, etc..