Programming Microprocessors

supakoopa

Joined Sep 11, 2017
Hello,
this is my first time on these forums so i don't know if i'm doing it right.
For the last few days i've been trying to get into microprocessors, however i just don't know where to start. My questions are:
How do i get into embedded computing?
How do I run a microprocessor?
How do i program the microprocessor, what language do i use, how do i actually wire up the microprocessor to get it programmed?
What hardware do i need?
I'm looking forward to getting a better understanding of this.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC and the wonderful world of microcontrollers.
There are many paths from which to choose, too many to list here.

One would begin by choosing a platform, which is usually tied to a specific manufacturer.

Start by reading this recent thread and then come back and ask more questions.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
seriously.

edit: by the way, people don't bat an eye when someone asks questions about 30+ year old micros, so why all the snark for the lowly arduino?

Last edited:

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
seriously.

edit: by the way, people don't bat an eye when someone asks questions about 30+ year old micros, so why all the snark for the lowly arduino?
There are some on this forum that seem to have an Arduinophobia.
I can't understand it as the Arduino is by far the easiest and cheapest to start with. They are by no means the best micros around but that in itself is almost a religious argument.
So supakoopa, have a look at the thread mentioned earlier, and have fun with an Arduino to start with. Don't be put off Arduinos by those people. The Arduino was designed to teach electronics after all. Electronics is a great hobby.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Microcontrollers, like computers in general, come and go. Don't get attached to one platform.

There was Amiga, Commodore PET, VIC20, TRS-80, Sinclair ZX80, Apple II, IBM, Mac, etc.

There was MicroMint, S-100, COSMAC, 6502, BASIC Stamp, PIC, AVR, HC11, 68K, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Omega II, MicroPython.

Take a pick. Learn the basics and move on.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
You forgot the Signetics 2650. My first :) It had an S100 board with 4 stacked daughter boards holding 88 ICs to give me 11K of RAM. Huge!

Boy, things have come a long way!

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
You forgot the Signetics 2650. My first :) It had an S100 board with 4 stacked daughter boards holding 88 ICs to give me 11K of RAM. Huge!

Boy, things have come a long way!
and let us not forget the IMSAI 8080. I had serious wood over that computer.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Microcontrollers, like computers in general, come and go. Don't get attached to one platform.

There was Amiga, Commodore PET, VIC20, TRS-80, Sinclair ZX80, Apple II, IBM, Mac, etc.

There was MicroMint, S-100, COSMAC, 6502, BASIC Stamp, PIC, AVR, HC11, 68K, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Omega II, MicroPython.

Take a pick. Learn the basics and move on.
The important point in all that is the principles are the same. It doesn't matter what processor or language (well, except for BASIC... :) ) as long as you learn how to logically structure your programs, how attack to a problem systematically and to make the most of limited resources.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
And I think there is value in starting with lower end spec micros as it teaches to make better use of what is available, like limited RAM and IOs.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
And I think there is value in starting with lower end spec micros as it teaches to make better use of what is available, like limited RAM and IOs.
When I worked for a large software company, we used to be in awe of the Russian programmers that had to code on ridiculously backwards processors and were able to squeeze amazing things into tiny memory spaces. Some of the best programmers I've ever seen. Necessity breeds innovation.

Andrei Suditu

Joined Jul 27, 2016
I recommend to start small: an easy 8-bit microcontroller.
You have mainly 2 chooses: Microchip(PIC)or Atmel's(Atmega or Attiny)
If you want you could buy an Arduino Wich is Atmel AVR based and enjoys a good community support (tutorials etc).
Later you could build your own.
Then you could switch up to more powerful ones if you need (32 bit+ wifi etc).
For 32bit wifi capabilities I recommend the popular esp8266 .
I started on Arduino myself.
Not that pic is not good but it has less support from the community in my opinion.

supakoopa

Joined Sep 11, 2017
Thank you for all tle help - but i'm looking to get into microprocessors, not microcontrollers. I have an arduino, and i know how to use it.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Thank you for all tle help - but i'm looking to get into microprocessors, not microcontrollers. I have an arduino, and i know how to use it.
What is your conceptual difference between a microprocessor and a microcontroller?
Give us some examples of a microprocessor and a microcontroller.
Just asking so that we are all on the same page.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Why not download a z80 or 8080 emulator and run CP/M? You can write asm or C, and tons of development software and lots of code/executables are available for free.