programming adapter for 10f202

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
What would be a DIY option to program the 10F202?

Not using:
- any USB programmer that contains a uC itself which needs firmware
(Like an ICD2 clone)

Using a :
- USB to RS232 adapter
(JDM doesn't work)

The programmer would need to program only this particular chip.

Thanks

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
PICKit2 + adapter for SOT-6

PICKit 2 is open source for programming, so you could put it all in an SOT-6 adapter and add a USB port.
That's not DIY. I meant a simple programmer like the JDM was/is, only that it has to work with a USB to serial adapter.

Is there any other option then buying a professional programming adapter?

Sometimes people in forums just need a special (simple) IC function which could be easily programmed into a small PIC like the 10Fx or 12Cx series. But then people wouldn't like to buy a programming adapter for this one-time experience.
So in order to propose a PIC solution the adapter would need to be built, not bought.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
That's not DIY. I meant a simple programmer like the JDM was/is, only that it has to work with a USB to serial adapter.
The PICkit works with the USB. There is no need for the serial adapter.

The PICkit II is completely open source, both software and hardware. Thus you can buy all the parts and put one together yourself.

It is very doubtful you could build a single PICkit cheaper then buying one complete and tested unit.

And do note that on the PCB layout (which is also open AFAIK) there is a 6 pin pattern used for a PICkit II to program the board. So you need a PICkit II to program a PICkit II. Unless you get the PIC inside it pre-programmed, which is actually possible to do.

There was another recent thread where someone is getting his own programmer to work. He is using another micro board which I believe costs more then a PICkit II.

For those in other forums that want to do PIC programming without a PIC there actually exists a platform sold by Microchip to do exactly that.

It is called the PICkit. Version one was just that.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
If the user already has a PICKit 2, they could add some pogo stick probes to the end of it so they would rest on the correct pins of a soldered in SOT-6

I honestly can't think of any reason somebody would want to program ONLY a PIC10F series uC, and not expand to others from there, for which they'd have to buy a PICKit 2 anyway.

The solution I mentioned above IS a DIY programmer, since the schematics and source code are open source, you could build that and mount it permanently to a PIC10F SOT-6 holder. You can't get away with using less than 5 pins for programming (well, you can if you use 4 if using low voltage programming, but PIC10F aren't shipped that way)

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
So you need a PICkit II to program a PICkit II.
I was afraid of that. A programmer to program a programmer.:rolleyes:

A PIC needs only Vpp, a clock and data to be programmed, I wonder why nobody has a simpler solution yet. Maybe because there is none.

Thanks for your ideas though.

Edit: You probably noticed it. Many requests here and elsewhere don't require supercomplex calculations to be made by a uC. That's why I thought about the smaller PICs. If one could offer a simple solution without the person having to buy a programmer that would be great... Many people either don't want to learn programming or aren't too enthusiastic about it.

Last edited:

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
The OP has an excellent point. There seems to be plenty of people who are not really interested in learning to program but would love to be able to duplicate some simple PIC night rider or similar led sequencer circuit. Then there may be people who are interested in programming but who may not have the resources to purchase a PICKit 2.

I would love to see someone come up with an updated Trivial LVP Programmer that supports the new "enhanced" mid-range devices. Unlike LVP on the older PIC devices where you lose a pin to the LVP function, the LVP implementation on the "enhanced" devices simply requires that you leave the MCLR pin configured with MCLR enabled. I attached a partial list of the "enhanced" devices.

Another approach I thought about recently was to use a $4.30 TI Launchpad as a PIC programmer. The Launchpad has a USB interface built in so you'd really only need a board with a socket for the PIC and a "programmer" program for the Launchpad.

Finally, you could always ask someone local or near you to program a PIC for you with a serial boot loader program. Then you simply need a $3 clone Nokia CA-42 usb-to-serial adapter cable to program the PIC via the boot loader.

food for thought...

Cheerful regards, Mike

Attachments

Last edited: