Programmable audio mixer

santoshn

Joined Oct 12, 2021
I am doing a pro-bono activity that is designed to protect human life from wildlife in habitats near forests. I have a system in public transport in that areas where is an android phone providing crucial info on wildlife movements connected to an audio amplifier. There is also a music player connected to the same amplifier. When there is an announcement, the music input should be blocked and the announcement should be sent to the audio amplifier. Is there a simple commercial product that does the same ? If anyone has a link to the product specs, please send it across.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There are a number of PA amplifiers offering exactly that function. It is often described as a priority input. So if the audio amplifier is not already on hand, that would be an option. I believe that it is also available in PA system mixers under the same description.

Last edited:

santoshn

Joined Oct 12, 2021
There are a number of PA amplifiers offering exactly that function. It is often described as a priority input. Sp of the audio amplifier is not already on hand, that would be an option. I believe that itis also available in PA system mixers under the same description.
Do you know of any specific brands ?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, and today I came across a de3vice that does exactly what you asked for, I think. It reduces the volume of the music when an announcement is made with a microphone.
The company name is "Rolls", and the name that they give the device is a "Ducker". The model shown is a DU30B, a stand alone module with connections for the music, the microphone, and an external 12 volt DC power supply. I found it at the "Schematics for free" website under "audio". I hope that this solves the problem.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, this device seems to do exactly what the TS requested, and best of all, is a commercially available product requiring no assembly, just connecting it. And best of all, I found it quite rapidly.

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
This is called "ducking". Some PA mixers have this function. When a signal appears on the "announcement" input, the "background music" input will be muted or faded down. I have a mixer made by Allen & Heath that does this.