ProForm EKG Treadmill Motor Control Board

Wolverine910

Joined Jan 13, 2018
Hello guys,
I'm new here and its a blessing to have forums and people like you all out to help people.
I have a question about motor control boards on treadmills, specifically the ProForm EKG and EKG770.
Ok, to begin with i refurbish motor control boards for these machines. I have come across 2 boards in the last 2 days where a resistor (lead) was clipped. Now these 2 boards were from different model machines but same manufacturer. On both boards the same resistor (lead) was clipped but remember these were two different model machines but same manufacturer.
So on the first board i repaired the resistor. Then on the second board i was like this cant be a coincidence that both resistors on same placement on board are clipped. So i done some research and i found where a guy mentions that on some boards you might come across a resistor that has been clipped to meet different applications on different model machines.
Does this sound correct, accurate to any of you? Also, by me (thinking i was) repairing the resistor on the first board going to impact the performance of the motor control board.
When i saw the resistor on the second board i got to thinking, wondering why the clipping looked like a clean cut and not a new cut. The lead wasn't torn or anything and also i was thinking how and why if it was bad why the resistor itself did not burn instead of the lead.
Any information on this issue will be greatly appreciated and my concern now is on the first board i thought i was repairing.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The popular MC-60 etc versions use a few option components, most seem to be different speed options, rather than omitting them in a version they fit all and just clip the end if not used.
Generally the resistor has a outline on the board with a ref #.
Not sure why they don't remove the complete resistor?o_O
Max.

Wolverine910

Joined Jan 13, 2018
Hi Max,
Thank you for the reply. I was wondering the same thing in regards to why just clip it, why not just clip both leads and just remove it....
Anyways do you think me repairing the first board before discovering the latter information will impact the function of the first board?
Thank you

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I tend to leave them as found, but some are intended for rpm control and some for different motors fitted, so if the latter where you are using a different motor than original, it could impact performance, but without manuf. info it is mostly guess work, or trial and error.
I don't think it will do anything catastrophic.;)
Max.