Proform 2000 Treadmill with MC2100LS - 30 REV controller - Replacing Console with Raspberry Pi / Console Questions

dlolling

Joined Jun 4, 2020
Hello,

Sorry for the long title.
I have a Proform Pro 2000 Treadmill, The console sticker states it's a Model PFTL13113.4 R1214A. The motor control board is a MC2100LS - 30 REV. I have been reading this forum and notice a lot of people ask motor controller questions here so I joined hoping to find some answers.

My treadmill worked great and then things went south. I can only get a few speeds to work using the console buttons and those buttons work erratically. Occasionally the incline will work. The display does still work. I have done a lot of research and found where many people have made PWM controllers and took various approaches to rebuilding the console.

I have created a new console using a Raspberry Pi 4B and a touch screen and programmed the user interface using Node-Red. In order to monitor signals with my scope and experiment, I spliced in an inline terminal block. As I began developing a solution I was able to inject PWM to control speed as well as 5 volts to the incline/decline circuit so I could raise and lower the deck. Keep in mind, this is all with the old console still connected.

I have completed my prototype and connected the new console through my break out connector with the old console still connected (essentially both consoles in parallel). I am able to control everything with the new console as long as the old console is still connected.

If I connect just my new console, I can get most of the functions to work except the incline/decline. By the way, initially I tried using a transistor to go from the RPi to the incline/decline circuits on the MC2100LS and even tried using a FET but I ended up using 3.3v relays with opto isolation to make the transition from RPI 3.3v to the 5 volts required by the MC2100LS.

Ok, so getting to my point, I am wondering if the console is sending any kind of heart beat or control signals back to the MC2100LS - 30 telling it all is OK to start. I found some documentation on the MC-2100/MC-2100E Motor controller that seems to elude to that (or I am concluding that). This is not the reverse engineered schematic that is out there. That was helpful but I think this may be from the manufacturer (maybe not).

I think my new console is prototype is working correctly but I seem to be missing something? It's probably not the most elegant solution but it's something anyway.

Does anyone have any experience with the MC2100LS - 30 REV motor controller that can tell me if I am missing some underlying secret signal or something?

I have attached the motor controller document I was referring to.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
On the incline circuit, it requires a positive voltage to either the UP or DOWN (HD2, p5 or p6), at the same time the opposite side has to be grounded.
Many faults such as yours is often a bad connection on the console to MC2100 board wiring.
Max.

dlolling

Joined Jun 4, 2020
Thanks for the response Max. One of the first things I did was replace the upright wiring harness. The old and new harness tested for continuity just fine. I applied 5v to the incline while grounding the decline and vice versa and it still did not work as expected. Again, as long as the original console is connected in parallel all of the functions on my R PI work as expected. All of the connections and grounds are solid. For the life of me I can't figure out what I am missing. For all intents and purposes this should electrically be a drop in replacement.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Did you test using the board, with the HD2 input direct with incline up and down wired directly? If it does not work at this point, it points to the main board.
Max.