Producing a 1200 V, 3mA, 60khz sine wave

tothemoonn

Joined May 21, 2018
I was hoping someone could give me an idea of where to start for producing a ~1200V 60kHz sine wave, preferably with the ability to attenuate down to about 600V if necessary. The current in minimal, 3mA output should be more than enough. Previously I've used a very slightly modified CCFL inverter, but with those going out of favor, I've found the model has been discontinued.

I do a fair amount of electronics work, but almost never work from the ground up. Im usually piecing together breakouts for embedded stuff. I have some experience with synthesizers and accomplishing this at much lower voltages with op amps, but I can't seem to find an opamp solution that works at this voltage range, at least without spending a boatload. I also thought I might be able to find a piezo driver, but those seem to be a higher power than I need and often only function with a piezo load. Considering my old inverter solution only cost around $30 I figure I must be missing an obvious approach. As a bonus, being able to change the frequency a bit on the fly would also be a welcome addition, maybe from about 40 - 75khz, but certainly not strictly necessary. This is for an electrochemistry experiment and it wouldn't surprise me if we find that altering the frequency a bit is beneficial down the road.

Thank you!

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
Use a high frequency step-up transformer with a Signal Generator / Sine Wave circuit connected to the Primary.

Last edited:

pmd34

Joined Feb 22, 2014
For the sine wave generation there are a couple of ICs available, the AD9833 and the XR2206, there easiest would be to then pass this into an "off the shelf" audio amplifier, and then a step up transformer. You might have difficult finding a suitable transformer that will go to that high voltage as things start to get a bit sparky, you might get way with an old TV flyback, or wind your own, maybe cast it in wax / oil bath if it sparks.

tothemoonn

Joined May 21, 2018
Thanks guys - i think I sourced a suitable transformer from a small company that sells parts for plasma light power supplies. I thought I must be missing something when I couldn't really find anything but big power transformers on digikey. I think I have a decent idea of where to start now.