Problem with EAGLE 7.2.0: Multiple Instances Start

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Had a SSD (C drive) die a couple of weeks ago. Put in a new one and reinstalled all software per usual. Using Windows 7 (64 bit), service pack 1. Eagle installed like this:
upload_2015-2-17_10-5-50.png

Eagle operates about as usual, and is recognized as a program in program manager. If I click on a file with the .brd or .sch extensions, it opens just fine.

The problem is that multiple instances of Eagle start up if I click on a file, close both components of that file, and then click on another file. That causes a second, third, etc. instance of Eagle to start. That can create a little operational confusion when you are making libraries, updating libraries, and working with Options (e.g., setting function keys).

The only way to avoid having so many instances running is to close Eagle too after (or before) closing the files. I don't recall it operating like that in the past. In the past, I had some earlier versions installed before installing Eagle 7.2.0.

1) Is that the way Eagle 7.2 is supposed to work with a clean install?
2) Is there any way to avoid the multiple instances starting beside doing what I described? (The "bin" location is what I am concerned about. I don't know what it is supposed to do.)

Thanks.

John

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The bin directory usualy contains the binairy files.
These can be bits of the complete program ( like libraries ).

Bertus

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yes, I understood it was a binary file, but why would only Eagle of all the programs I have installed have a path that includes it? It is making it act like another very old CAD program I have that just goes the executable -- like in the days of using PIF files. But even that program doesn't start multiple instances.

The ultimate questions might be: 1) What happens if I just edit the path not to include "bin;" and 2) Should Eagle be installed in the Programs files or Program files (x86) folders to avoid getting multiple instances?

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
But the fresh install using the normal Windows' install didn't put it in either of the Program files folders (i.e., 64-bit Program files or 32-bit Program files (x86)). That in itself should not be the problem, I don't think.

John