Problem with a TOSHIBA RDXV60KB VCR/DVD Recorder

spike1947

Joined Feb 4, 2016
Hi

I have a TOSHIBA RDXV60KB VCR/DVD Recorder, not been used very much, but when you switch it on all that happens is like a solenoid switching on and of noise , lights do come on at the front of the machine , have located the part that is making the switching sound ( arrowed on the picture) will try to upload a Service Manual for it, have it in a .pdf format ! .
Any help in what would cause that would be appreciated .

cheers
Spike

Attachments

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The manual is very comprehensive. I did find it amusing that the board is marked HOT and COLD for HI/AC and LO/DC voltage. Just what is the problem? Couple of ways to approach it and first check the power supply rectifier/output. Then go for what is wrong and trace back. Drawing do show test points and I assume test voltages (didn't get that deep into it).

spike1947

Joined Feb 4, 2016
The manual is very comprehensive. I did find it amusing that the board is marked HOT and COLD for HI/AC and LO/DC voltage. Just what is the problem? Couple of ways to approach it and first check the power supply rectifier/output. Then go for what is wrong and trace back. Drawing do show test points and I assume test voltages (didn't get that deep into it).
Hi
Thanks for your reply , have a bit more info , it could be a Diode, D1150, but I can't find it on the drawing ! .
cheers
spike

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
There are photo diagrams of the board so it should match up pretty easily. Either that or the parts list should help. Why do you think the diode is bad? Simple enough usually to desolder and test one.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Looking at the circuit that relay is Error Voltage detect. So on power up there must be some problem in the powersupply. Check diodes for shorts bulging capacitors in the power board would be a start.

spike1947

Joined Feb 4, 2016
Thanks Guys
Was told it is a regular problem with this model, D1150 is the problem Diode ( 1N5397B) but I just can not find it on the drawing ☹! .
Cheers and tks for your replies .
Spike

MH Coghlan

Joined Aug 17, 2023
Hi

I have a TOSHIBA RDXV60KB VCR/DVD Recorder, not been used very much, but when you switch it on all that happens is like a solenoid switching on and of noise , lights do come on at the front of the machine , have located the part that is making the switching sound ( arrowed on the picture) will try to upload a Service Manual for it, have it in a .pdf format ! .
Any help in what would cause that would be appreciated .

cheers
Spike
Hi Spike. Did you manage to find & fit the solenoid switch that you identified. If so where did you get the replacement? & if fitted, did your recorder work?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Thank you for your reply. I have an account with Farnell s.
reading the comments made by SPIKE1947, did you think this sounded like the likely component to be causing the ‘switch/alternating fault? Mike C
You need to measure the DC voltages from the transformer outputs ( rectified), ideally the one that feeds the 3V regulator via the diode in question, before you start buying anything.

CPC or Farnells do these relays,
https://cpc.farnell.com/search/prl/results?st=5V relay&gs=true&sort=P_PRICE

spike1947

Joined Feb 4, 2016
Hi Spike. Did you manage to find & fit the solenoid switch that you identified. If so where did you get the replacement? & if fitted, did your recorder work?
Hi
Sorry for late reply, only just seen it, TBH I don't remember what I done, it did work in the end, will have to look back n my PC to see if there is some info on it and come back to you.

cheers
Spike

Hi
Sorry for late reply, only just seen it, TBH I don't remember what I done, it did work in the end, will have to look back n my PC to see if there is some info on it and come back to you.

cheers
Spike
Thanks Spike, awaited your comments, if you find anything, as per your comment.
MC