Problem with 555-timer

kenmarserv

Joined Mar 14, 2020
CD4017 problem , maybe its your 555 timer, trying to use the same configuration as shown. So far I can't get the timer to
work. NOTE i have had problems with 555's in the past am beginning to think ( i have heard as such ) there are problems
with newer timers ( or me ) I did have a 4017 working before the clock problem. Open to suggestions. jack

Moderator edit: New thread split off from old thread.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
CD4017 problem , maybe its your 555 timer,
The OP already solved his problem. It wasn't the CD4017 or timer.
Problem solved and it is working perfectly now. I was using the wrong gate.
What you've done is called necroposting here; replying to a very old thread and adding nothing of value to the OP and could cause all contributors to be notified of your unrelated post.
trying to use the same configuration as shown. So far I can't get the timer to
work.
As the original poster didn't include the 555 timer connections, you should post how you have yours connected. We know it's probably the classic astable configuration, but it's best for us to be commenting on the exact circuit.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Welcome to AAC!

What you've done is called necroposting here; replying to a very old thread and adding nothing of value to the OP and could cause all contributors to be notified of your unrelated post.
As the original poster didn't include the 555 timer connections, you should post how you have yours connected. We know it's probably the classic astable configuration, but it's best for us to be commenting on the exact circuit.
...and the necroposter should start his own thread, linking back here if it makes sense.

kenmarserv

Joined Mar 14, 2020
Welcome to AAC!

I am a 1st time user; I noted the posting date of 2011 , who should have cleared that post out ? you have a helpful service here . In regards to my reply to the 4017 , I kind of was looking for feed back on the 555 timer to. Many, many moons ago I used the 555 a lot of times and never had a problem with the product. Lately I have had problems with the 555 . On the internet etc I have seen messages of problems with the 555 , if so
we shoud have the right to know some how. Sorry I inconvinced you, I just thought I could help someone else
working on a simular problem !

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Many times, problems with 555-timer are solved by changing to a different kind of 555-timer.

There are two kinds, non-CMOS ICs, such as NE555, LM555,
and low-power CMOS type, such as LMC555, TLC555, ICL7555, ICM7555.

The non-CMOS 555-timer is notorious for generating high current spikes into the power supply rails.
CMOS versions of 555-timer consume much less current and do not have is behaviour.

In either case, it is always good practice to place a 0.1μF ceramic capacitor across pin-1 and pin-8 of the 555-timer IC
AND a 10μF electrolytic capacitor in parallel with the first one (making sure you connect the polarity correctly).

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Look at the model number stamped on the timer and look up and read the datasheet for that model. The 555 is a pretty hardy little chip with few problems. And Welcome to AAC!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Lately I have had problems with the 555 . On the internet etc I have seen messages of problems with the 555 , if so
we shoud have the right to know some how. Sorry I inconvinced you, I just thought I could help someone else
working on a simular problem !
We can help you if you post your schematic and tell us what it isn't doing correctly.

The inconvenience is to people who posted on the original thread. Notifications are usually enabled by default, so all of those members received a summon to come back to an old thread that had been solved.

I see that your thread has been split from the original, so now members in the original thread won't be bothered by update notifications.