Printing and Binding Services.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I am looking to print and bind my Tek 2215 service manual so it make it easier to read and work on my unit .. Has anyone ever tired and done this and about much did it cost ??

Thanks

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I am looking to print and bind my Tek 2215 service manual so it make it easier to read and work on my unit .. Has anyone ever tired and done this and about much did it cost ??

Thanks
Some print shops will remove the existing binding and then three-hole punch/drill the pages. Then you can put the manual in a three ring binder.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
In the past I have taken apart books and re-bound them. In most cases, it was to remove the parts of books that I did not want to have, or to combine several books. It was not difficult, even for a guy who is all thumbs when it comes to things mechanical. The cost as very little as not much material was needed.

My first bound volume was a collection of application notes from the back of RCA Semiconductor data books. That was done in 1976 and the book has held together these past 40 years without a sign of wear other than a darkening of pages from hand prints and things like that.

There are plenty web pages describing binding methods. Below is only one of many examples. I am sure you can easily turn up many more.
http://www.creativebloq.com/indesign/bind-your-own-books-5132651

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

Thanks
Kinko/FedEx store offers the Swingline CombiBinding. This was how Tek and HP manuals were "bound" from the factory. It is about $5 for binding plus $0.08/page.

About $6 for 16 pages and $20 for 200 pages.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
In the past I have taken apart books and re-bound them. In most cases, it was to remove the parts of books that I did not want to have, or to combine several books. It was not difficult, even for a guy who is all thumbs when it comes to things mechanical. The cost as very little as not much material was needed.

My first bound volume was a collection of application notes from the back of RCA Semiconductor data books. That was done in 1976 and the book has held together these past 40 years without a sign of wear other than a darkening of pages from hand prints and things like that.

There are plenty web pages describing binding methods. Below is only one of many examples. I am sure you can easily turn up many more.
http://www.creativebloq.com/indesign/bind-your-own-books-5132651
Some print shops will remove the existing binding and then three-hole punch/drill the pages. Then you can put the manual in a three ring binder.
Thanks guy but I don't have a manual and wanted to pay someone to print the pdf and bound it for me ..
Kinko/FedEx store offers the Swingline CombiBinding. This was how Tek and HP manuals were "bound" from the factory. It is about $5 for binding plus $0.08/page.

About $6 for 16 pages and $20 for 200 pages.

View attachment 106222
Yeah I tried staples today and they wanted like $30 to print one out .. But I didn't want anything special but just spiral or comb bound and some kind of cover and cheap copy paper..
Does anyone know of a cheaper place that I could get this done ??

Thanks

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thanks guy but I don't have a manual and wanted to pay someone to print the pdf and bound it for me ..

Yeah I tried staples today and they wanted like $30 to print one out .. But I didn't want anything special but just spiral or comb bound and some kind of cover and cheap copy paper..
Does anyone know of a cheaper place that I could get this done ??

Thanks
Check the UPS Store (probably expensive but not as high as staples) or any little local crap-hole print shop (cheap option).

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
In the times my reports were sent hard printed, I used Unibind. For common reports, there was available the standard type with plastic transparent/translucid covers. Not for frequent browsing really.

There were (are?) also, hard covers, much much more suitable to keep it with you for years. To do that inhouse, we kept a not so costly stock consisting of different sizes according to No of sheets. (no way to cheat here).

I moved few days ago. If I can find them today, I will show a picture of how I asked the binding made of several datasheets (PIC micros) for intensive RTFM.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
@Dr.killjoy

Here is an original 2215 service manual.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Tekt...hash=item2a12d1764d:m:m2fCO-0N0gxQBa5vVlONMHA

One thing about an original Tektronix manual is that they will take an 11 X 17" diagram and fold it to fit in a 8.5 X 11 manual. They also organize the front to back printing so that what is printed on the back of the left page goes with the top of the right page. I don't think Kinkos will do that for you.

This original manual on EBay is only $20 +$10 shipping.