Print out a posters threads

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
I find myself these days collecting books, periodicals, etc. of the "experts".

So thought is, on a forum, to be able to collect all threads where a specific expert
is contributing. Print them out, thread by thread, where ever "expert" of choice
has posted.

What prompted this is a thought I had for one of my sons as a reference work,
in my case he would not search on an "expert", I make no claims to that title.

Just a thought.

Regards, Dana.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You sound like my 92 your old father that printed out everything even though it was all available online. Are you 92??? :eek:

I don't know why you would want to print it out since 90% of threads are relevant only to the TS.

What would you do with all of this data once it has been printed?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You sound like my 92 your old father that printed out everything even though it was all available online. Are you 92??? :eek:
Back in the day when it was still uncommon, I built a website for my company, which was a subsidiary of a larger company. When the corporate lawyers found out they had a collective cow and demanded to examine it. I sent them the link. They said no, that's unacceptable, I must fax it to them so they have a hard copy. And they demanded that absolutely nothing change once they approved it. I reminded them the homepage showed a clock and a weather widget. Deafening silence. The site stayed up.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

So thought is, on a forum, to be able to collect all threads where a specific expert
is contributing. Print them out, thread by thread, where ever "expert" of choice
has posted.

Just a thought.

Regards, Dana.
I feature to print a specific thread would be nice (and the old forum software, vBulletin, had that feature). If Xenforo has a similar feature, I'm not aware of it.

But collecting all the threads were a specific expert has contributed????

By the time you have seen enough of their posts that you know you want to do so, they have probably contributed to hundreds or even thousands of threads, many of which you would have no interest in, such as "Introduce yourself" or "Now for something weird", which might have thousands of posts in them.

I would rather see the search features improved.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018

I don't know why you would want to print it out since 90% of threads are relevant only to the TS.

What would you do with all of this data once it has been printed?
Most of what I print is via a PDF driver printer, so just goes to my hard drive.

Regards, Dana.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
The search function has an option to search fir all posts by an author. Is that what you want?
No, that allows me to print one thread at a time, and then only by page
of the thread, not the whole thread, not all the pages of the thread in one
printing. Or not all the threads, all the pages, in one printing.

Note I print most stuff to PDF, to file, not to paper.

Regards, Dana.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
I feature to print a specific thread would be nice (and the old forum software, vBulletin, had that feature). If Xenforo has a similar feature, I'm not aware of it.

But collecting all the threads were a specific expert has contributed????

By the time you have seen enough of their posts that you know you want to do so, they have probably contributed to hundreds or even thousands of threads, many of which you would have no interest in, such as "Introduce yourself" or "Now for something weird", which might have thousands of posts in them.

I would rather see the search features improved.
That would help, as I would like to use data like this, like Bob Peases lab notes, to search
the data for specific topics/commentary. Unfortunately all his data is in image pdf, so searching
a serious pain.

You could always limit the scope of the print, like 3 year period, to handle your concern
about amount of data handled. Not my preference, but I understand server demand
problem.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015

has posted.

Just a thought.

Regards, Dana.
Danadak u can download poster's blog if he/she has one! Only problem is Xenforo bug causes download to fail on blogs bigger than like 47Mb. So other option is to use _scraper_ sftwe (which is only way of automatically DLing big blogs) but if u do that plz be vry careful abt limiting scope cuz bandwidth leaching is totally rude and could definitely make u _persona non grata_ on hereo_O!

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Thanks Aleph for the comments. My thought is a site is an expression of a group
of like minded folks, maintained by them for goals they designed to. So I would
want site buy in, at minimum users, more than just me, to also find value in the idea.

Plus dark web kinds of tools for novices like me asking for self immolation I think.

Regards, Dana.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
My thought is a site is an expression of a group
of like minded folks, maintained by them for goals they designed to. So I would
want site buy in, at minimum users, more than just me, to also find value in the idea.
Danadak sry I didn't get that your OP is suggesting new feature instead of asking for means to an end:oops:!

Plus dark web kinds of tools for novices like me asking for self immolation I think.
Just 2 say sry abt word choice _scraper_ cuz I definitely wasn't trying 2 suggest anything _shady_:(

It's just that some words have bad rap cuz of association with bad behavior (like most ppl now think on _hacker_ as synonymous with _cyber criminal_ but o/c that's not original meaning). Now I don't know history of _web scraper_ but properly used _archiving bots_ by whatever name can definitely be vry useful, site-friendly tools:cool:! So o/c _catch_ is any tool used maliciously or just wrongly can be harmful! So I know this is moot since ur not requesting work-around but I wanted to set record straight abt intent of my previous post:cool:!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Danadak sry I didn't get that your OP is suggesting new feature instead of asking for means to an end:oops:!

Just 2 say sry abt word choice _scraper_ cuz I definitely wasn't trying 2 suggest anything _shady_:(

It's just that some words have bad rap cuz of association with bad behavior (like most ppl now think on _hacker_ as synonymous with _cyber criminal_ but o/c that's not original meaning). Now I don't know history of _web scraper_ but properly used _archiving bots_ by whatever name can definitely be vry useful, site-friendly tools:cool:! So o/c _catch_ is any tool used maliciously or just wrongly can be harmful! So I know this is moot since ur not requesting work-around but I wanted to set record straight abt intent of my previous post:cool:!
Sorry this is an English only forum. Please repost your comments in English.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Sorry this is an English only forum. Please repost your comments in English.
Spinnaker it's just like I said, IDK history of term _web scraper_ so maybe it always had negative connotation? But _hacker_ in info-tech talk originally just meant programmer (cuz _hacking_ was slang for typing even b4 computers were invented!). Now I'm going to say something! Even now _hacking_ shouldn't be thought on as like _under handed_ activity cuz evolved meaning is basically _reverse engineering_ and patching software (on user's own assets) or modifying his/her hardware for customized functionality! Now technically, reverse engineering of software can sometimes be considered intellectual property violation but I don't care cuz if I paid for it AND I don't distribute it or use it to harm others then it's mine to do with as I please! So even though that might not always be _legally sound_ it's totally inarguable from moral POV:mad:!

Anyhow a lot of ppl think on _hacking_ as messing with other ppl's info-tech assets (so for example developing malware, looking for opportunity for security exploits and like that) which isn't really _hacking_ at all! It's theft, vandalism, trespassing, sabotage, etc! And I say that's exactly what it should be called!

So anyhow I'm sry for not being clear on last post:(

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Spinnaker it's just like I said, IDK history of term _web scraper_ so maybe it always had negative connotation? But _hacker_ in info-tech talk originally just meant programmer (cuz _hacking_ was slang for typing even b4 computers were invented!). Now I'm going to say something! Even now _hacking_ shouldn't be thought on as like _under handed_ activity cuz evolved meaning is basically _reverse engineering_ and patching software (on user's own assets) or modifying his/her hardware for customized functionality! Now technically, reverse engineering software can sometimes be considered intellectual property violation but I don't care cuz if I paid for it AND I don't distribute it or use it to harm others then it's mine to do with as I please! So even though that might not always be _legally sound_ it's totally inarguable from moral POV:mad:!

Anyhow a lot of ppl think on _hacking_ as messing with other ppl's info-tech assets (so for example developing malware, looking for opportunity for security exploits and like that) which isn't really _hacking_ at all! It's theft, vandalism, trespassing, sabotage, etc! And I say that's exactly what it should be called!

So anyhow I'm sry for not being clear on last post:(

And you are not clear again.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
And you are not clear again.
Spinnaker now I think ur just giving me hard time for s...'s and g.....'s but just in case I'll try being vry concise:D

◊For all I know _web scraper_ might have always meant bot that causes bandwidth issues selfishly harvesting info from other ppl's sites. But that's not what I meant to suggest at all:oops:! So when I said _scraper_ I meant courteous, vry limited, use of _archiver_:)!

◊_Hacker_ didn't originally (and actually still doesn't necessarily) mean troublemaker or criminal:cool:!

So if it's still not clear then all I can say is one of us needs to SEE optometrist:p!

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Spinnaker now I think ur just giving me hard time for s...'s and g.....'s but just in case I'll try being vry concise:D

◊For all I know _web scraper_ might have always meant bot that causes bandwidth issues selfishly harvesting info from other ppl's sites. But that's not what I meant to suggest at all:oops:! So when I said _scraper_ I meant courteous, vry limited, use of _archiver_:)!

◊_Hacker_ didn't originally (and actually still doesn't necessarily) mean troublemaker or criminal:cool:!

So if it's still not clear then all I can say is one of us needs to SEE optometrist:p!
I think it's not his sight but rather his need to have things spelled out, txt speak is banned on some forums just for that reason vry, ppl's, b4, POV, IDK, sry and I agree with him.

I think it's ok if you want to Facebook someone, but on a EE forum, some folks don't want to even read your post. I know I don't.

kv

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I think it's ok if you want to Facebook someone, but on a EE forum, some folks don't want to even read your post. I know I don't.

kv
Killivolt I agree that numerals for words and single letter abbreviations and asinine misspellings (like _teh_ for _the_ which I never use even texting) are textease with no place on educational forum! So that's bad habit I'm working to break on here! But _ABT, BTW, IIRC, POV, PPL, IDK, SRY, PLZ_ and like that have become common abbreviations increasingly used on academic sites and some even on scholarly papers! So should we stop using contractions too? Newsflash! Language is in flux!

I think it's ok if you want to Facebook someone
Killivolt you don't know first thing about me! I don't do _social media_ and I NEVER will:mad:!

So here's piece of advice from _snot nosed kid_! Next time you're having bad day just FACE IT LIKE AN ADULT instead of going back over 2 months on website looking for something to bitch about:rolleyes:! Also if you look on some of your posts you can see you're throwing stones from glass house complaining about other people's use of English language:rolleyes:!

some folks don't want to even read your post. I know I don't.
Killivolt then they and you shouldn't be reading them! So I made special effort to avoid using any abbreviations (except in examples) in this post just as one time courtesy! And I totally promise to continue to work on avoiding use of text brevity on this site! But I'm not making extra work for myself catering to whims of people who don't like common abbreviations!

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Newsflash! Language is in flux!
Only when we add a device or a thing to the English Language that this happens. Spelling a word all out is just allowing all to know what your thinking. In IT my work requires enough acronyms, talking tech makes it easier. I don't need to learn txt speak, so if you want to be understood fully don't do it, plus no need to be offended. Do it or don't, I don't care to read it if you do, all I said.

Killivolt you don't know first thing about me! I don't do _social media_ and I NEVER will:mad:!
BTW, your welcome to address me as "kv" it's actually what I answer to. Good you don't do social media, I'm impressed.

Next time you're having bad day just FACE IT LIKE AN ADULT instead of going back over 2 months on website looking for something to bitch about:rolleyes:!
Didn't need to go back 3 months, it was right in front of my face, after "KISS" (Keepitsimplestupid) posted. I went to see what he posted then found yours and spinners posts, I simply agree with him which, he and I rarely do BTW.

Also if you look on some of your posts you can see you're throwing stones from glass house complaining about other people's use of English language:rolleyes:!
I also agree with you, it's something that I've tried to change but at least my spelling is usually correct even if it's the wrong word choice, grammatical errors are often as well as punctuation. But most of the time intelligible.

But I'm not making extra work for myself catering to whims of people who don't like common abbreviations!
Yes, I will just simply ignore those posts when I see them, unless you tag me personally. And it's not my time to be waisted looking for the correct meaning of your "txt speak"

Sincerely,

kv