Prices at RadioShack!

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I took the liberty to visit RadioShack's web side to see why RadioShack is so popular and I was astonished when saw the outrageous prices. For example, they have LM324 chips at $1.49. I can buy them at around 0.40Eur. At the National Semiconductor's site they are for sale for only $0.33 plus shipping. Besides having a very limited variety of parts, prices from RadioShack are outrageous and pure robery. They are taking advantage of their monopoly in the United States.

Of course this doesn't affect me, but might affect you. Fell free to leave your opinion here.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I took the liberty to visit RadioShack's web side to see why RadioShack is so popular and I was astonished when saw the outrageous prices. For example, they have LM324 chips at $1.49. I can buy them at around 0.40Eur. At the National Semiconductor's site they are for sale for only $0.33 plus shipping. Besides having a very limited variety of parts, prices from RadioShack are outrageous and pure robery. They are taking advantage of their monopoly in the United States.

Of course this doesn't affect me, but might affect you. Fell free to leave your opinion here.
Have you ever tried to run a chain of retail storefronts? RadioShack is only a victim of outrageous land prices, construction costs, and rents. Nobody buys small electronic parts at a retail store any more. Store owners simply cannot make a profit on onesy twosy component sales. Since most components are now surface mount it wont be long before the hobbyist friendly DIP is phased out. After that it will be the magazines with construction articles. Don't blink or you'll miss it.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Radio Shack wasn't great 30 years ago, just convient. They had the poorest quality at insane prices. Haven't been in one in 20 or so years, heard they mostly sell cellphones and batteries these days. Electronics as hobby is stronger than ever, surprising nobody has taken advantage of the operatunity. There is really no competition for a retail parts store, just the internet. I'm sure there are plenty of people, who forget a part or two on an online order, burn out something, maybe need a different value. Shipping usually kills the low prices online for small orders, so there is some potential for profits.

Was disappointed with Radio Shack as a kid just starting in electronics, never really paid them much thought then or now. They had a great idea, just too cheap and money hungery to make it work.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending RadioShack. I never depended on them for much of anything over the years. I'm just saying that it is hard for stores of their size to make a profit in the competitive retail business. Selling small parts from a retail store is not a business opportunity it is a money pit at the end of a minefield. Anyone who thinks otherwise should try to see how little they can lose trying to run at a profit. Then you might have some cerdibility for your complaint.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
True, I have no business experience to draw on. Perhaps I only see what would be good for my interests. Just seems like a huge hole in the market place.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending RadioShack. I never depended on them for much of anything over the years. I'm just saying that it is hard for stores of their size to make a profit in the competitive retail business. Selling small parts from a retail store is not a business opportunity it is a money pit at the end of a minefield. Anyone who thinks otherwise should try to see how little they can lose trying to run at a profit. Then you might have some cerdibility for your complaint.
Actually it is. There are several examples of stores exclusively dedicated to electronic parts here in Portugal. All you need is a big stock with a great variety.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I live near Detroit, a city of just under 1M people. I have not seen a retail storefront selling electronic components in small quantities for more than a decade. The best source for parts is the many hamfests throughout the midwest including Dayton on the third week of May. That and mail order from companies like Mouser, and Digi-key, and Jameco are what I rely upon.

The economics of retail storefronts must be different in Portugal.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I live near Detroit, a city of just under 1M people. I have not seen a retail storefront selling electronic components in small quantities for more than a decade. The best source for parts is the many hamfests throughout the midwest including Dayton on the third week of May. That and mail order from companies like Mouser, and Digi-key, and Jameco are what I rely upon.

The economics of retail storefronts must be different in Portugal.
The situation varies from place to place, that's certain. There are lots of clients for that market here.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
There are a couple of places in or near Portland Oregon where one can buy components at reasonable prices. We've got a Norvac over in Beaverton, a couple "mom & pop shops" around Portland, and some surplus purveyors in the area.

Of course, this is the "silicon forest."

(Our cost-of-living is a bit high for retirement living, though.)