Prevent Excel hyperlink paths from changing

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

I need to make an excel sheet with hyperlinks linked to different folders. Is there a way to prevent from loosing the hyperlinks when moving these folders?

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Currently I have an Excel file with the main sheet containing an inventory list. One of the fields in the main sheet contains hyperlinks to other sheets (all containing photos) in the same excel file. Now I need to redo this inventory with hyperlinks linked to external folders instead of keeping the photos in the same excel file. This way I reduce the file size and excessive clutter.

why should the links change in the spreadsheet if you've not made them up yet?
I already tried something similar and the hyperlinks becomes unaccusable after moving the folders or the excel file itself.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
What do you mean by external? A network location or an external hard drive? It makes a difference.

Are you using Windows? Later versions have the link function, which points a folder location to somewhere else on the local storage (which can be an external hard drive; it cannot be a network location).

Thus, your Excel hyperlink will always point to the link location, which can be rlsewhere, as defined by the "mklink" command.

Do a search for "Windows mklink".

Kjeldgaard

Joined Apr 7, 2016
If the images can be in a sub folder to the Excel file, then my suggestion is to use relative paths for the image references.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
If the images can be in a sub folder to the Excel file, then my suggestion is to use relative paths for the image references.
Yeah, but he is moving the images around. This would work if he also moved the Excel file with the images. But is this a constraint that he can deal with? Only the TS can tell us.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There are ways to accomplish this but the needs must be stated precisely.

That said, it won't be easy and it makes a lot more sense to organize things logically and stick to that directory structure, and then use relative links so that the entire project can move from one hard drive to another or from one machine to another.

If you need cross-platform functionality, that's doable too but you have to know in advance and program for it.

If you're hoping to do this without programming (visual basic), I think you're out of luck but it depends on exactly what you need.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I think you are looking for Relative Link, like wayneh said. The difference from regular link is that relative link assumes that the whole structure/tree of the site remain constant, which means you don't need to list the domain every single time you type out the link address. However, this will work only if you copy the whole folder, meaning you copy the whole structure/tree that defines the links inside the site/folder.