Pregnant and Electric Shock

zophas

Joined Jul 16, 2021
As a first aider in my workplace, our training tells us to do this for an electrical shock:
- If unconscious, DRSABCD
- Then to treat any burns (this can be a danger because the person may not be able to feel in that area)
- and then send them to hospital, because of an elevated risk of heart attack in the next few hours.

I'm not sure about in utero as it is outside my training, but I'd speculate that the main danger was with the heartbeat.

If this is a major concern to you I'd suggest that the person to talk to about this is the M/H/N or your family doctor.

i.e. Don't google it, don't ask friends/family/or Karen the naturopath, go and speak to the people who this question falls into their scope of training.
Us electronic enthusiasts use a lot of acronyms like NPN, and PSU etc. and that's most of the time that's fine. But please explain please explain DRSABCD to me. I assume it's a first aid term but I have no idea what it means.

click_here

Joined Sep 22, 2020
D - Look for danger. A lot of people have died because they didn't pause to see why a person may be unconscious and rushed in to help.

R - Ask for a response. "Hey mate, you look like you've hurt yourself, are you okay? ". "Can you squeeze my hand"

S - Send for help - This is usually taking a second to take your phone out and call 000 (in Australia), or asking someone nearby to call 000. Ask bystanders to check in nearby shops for an automatic defibrillator.

A - Check the airway - Open the mouth and remove any objects. https://secureservercdn.net/198.71....tion_4/anzcor-guideline-4-airway-apr-2021.pdf

B - Check for *normal* breathing
https://secureservercdn.net/198.71....n_5/anzcor-guideline-5-breathing-apr-2021.pdf

C - Start CPR - It is recommended that you do not use breaths any more, unless asphyxiation is suspected. It's more important to keep the blood circulating, and pushing down on the chest forces air in and out of the lungs anyway...
https://secureservercdn.net/198.71..../anzcor-guideline-6-compressions-apr-2021.pdf

D - Automatic defibrillator - If you're lucky and have access to a defrib, you would pause CPR to put it on. It does a lot more than administer shocks, it also provides a steady beat for CPR
https://secureservercdn.net/198.71....section_7/anzcor-guideline-7-aed-apr-2021.pdf

I think that everyone should do a CPR course!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I think DRSABCD is a AU, NZ, UK thing.

We were taught Fire, Wire, Gas, Glass and ABC.

Now it's Fire, Wire, Gas, Glass, Drugs, Thugs.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Hello @Karina07 Welcome to AAC. I don't think anyone officially welcomed you yet. It's what we usually do with new members.

Like others have said, the shock probably didn't harm the baby. From your description of the frayed cord it's likely you touched two conductors in the palm of your hand. If that's the case then the shock traveled through your hand from one wire to the other. Unless you were standing on concrete or a wet floor, the shock would not have gone through your body. And if ever it did go through your body it would have followed the path of least resistance. It's unlikely it would have detoured through the baby. I use words like "Probably" and "Unlikely" because it most likely didn't go anywhere else. It's the legal terminology anyone would use and not want to be held liable for saying something could not have gone wrong. But if I had to guess I would say it's a 100% guaranty the baby felt nothing.

Electrical shocks are - um - well, shocking. It's not something you feel every day so it can be quite scary. A friend's son had a pen that when you clicked it you got a shock. Everyone was terrified of the novelty pen but I just had to try it. Yeah, it was a shock. But it was nothing like some of the shockings I've taken before. I could click and hold the pen easily while it was busy delivering a very small charge. Yet nobody else wanted to even try it. People are more frightened of electricity, even when it's far far below anything that can cause any harm. So your response is understandable. But likely unwarranted. I'm confident your child will be just as well as he/she would have been had you not been shocked. Don't worry Karina. Both you and baby are probably fine. Now, for the iron and its cord - - - it belongs either in the repair shop or the rubbish.

And check the ironing board as well. If the cord is worn then the edge of the board may have become sharp; and a cut danger may be more worrisome than an electric shock, what with the possibility of infection.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Possible nicknames for your child...
- Sparky (Sparks)
- Jolt
- Volt
- Hotwire
- Lightning
- Blitzen
- Flash
"Iskra" is a female forename and means "Spark" in Slovene.
Iskra is also a switchgear company based in Ljubliana. Whenever I look up their website, Google finds me pictures of a fashion model who is called Iskra.