electric shock when pregnant

ellamom

Joined Nov 2, 2009
I was 16 weeks pregnant when I had an electric shot when I was trying to connect the audio wire from the TV to the DVD. The TV was on. I accidently touched the tip of the wire and felting a tingling in my finger and it passed to my elbow and then my lower back and "stopped there". I went to check the baby and everything shows the baby is fine so far now that I'm 19 weeks. I saw that the electric shock had very bad effect especially if it's from hand to foot. My question is if my lower back felt the current, is it possible that the current goes to my baby? What is the voltage and current when a wire comes out of the TV, is it still 110V?

I saw the previous thread several years ago with the similar case and the current did not pass through her body. I was so glad to see that she had a healthy baby boy. I just hope my accident wouldn't hurt my baby either. Thanks for your help.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I'm sure you and your baby will be fine. A "tingling sensation" doesn't even really count as a shock. If you were knocked back 5 feet and burnt you finger I might be concerned but not with such a low current. I'm sure your baby felt about what you felt. I don't think our bodies contain any system to prevent shock. But think of what you felt and that's about what he felt. All this is purely my opinion so if someone knows better chime in.

If it makes you feel better when I was 3 I tried to plug in a light and my fingers slipped onto the metal plug sockets and shocked the hell out of me. Felt like someone squeezed my hand really really hard and I jerked my hand back really quick. I turned out fine and never even told my parents. Sure learned how electricity works though.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Then it comes to electrical shock, the most vulnerable part is the heart. I guess your doctor checked your if your baby had normal heart sound. And as I understand from your posting every thing is normal so far. As I also understand you did not get any burns from the incident. So the current must have been somewhat limited.
Note I am not MD;) but I am trained to work with medical equipment. So Know a few things about this topic

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
I think the electric current would have travelled near the spinal cord; which was probably the shortest path to ground.

Austin

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I was 16 weeks pregnant when I had an electric shot when I was trying to connect the audio wire from the TV to the DVD. The TV was on. I accidently touched the tip of the wire and felting a tingling in my finger and it passed to my elbow and then my lower back and "stopped there". I went to check the baby and everything shows the baby is fine so far now that I'm 19 weeks. I saw that the electric shock had very bad effect especially if it's from hand to foot. My question is if my lower back felt the current, is it possible that the current goes to my baby? What is the voltage and current when a wire comes out of the TV, is it still 110V?

I saw the previous thread several years ago with the similar case and the current did not pass through her body. I was so glad to see that she had a healthy baby boy. I just hope my accident wouldn't hurt my baby either. Thanks for your help.
Sounds like the very slight current was staying near skin surface since it did not induce any involuntary muscle response. I would say it's almost absolutely guaranteed it could not have harmed the baby.

ellamom

Joined Nov 2, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I was fine for a couple of weeks after the accident and then realized there was some wierd movement of the baby for 2 weeks after I got the shock and now it's gone. I hope the movement was just normal and hope the current did not pass through her. I'll be so relieved if the voltage/current is much less than from an outlet and if the current does go through my skin surface or near the spinal cord as suggested. Thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
One additional factor that might make you feel better. Besides the very low level of shock, the body has natural layers of preferred conduction. Layers of muscle and the tissues around organs do not present paths for electrical conduction that are as good as along blood vessels and inside structures like muscles. Recall that our nervous system is electrical in nature, so some level of insulation is necessary for our bodies to be able to function.

Whatever the conduction path from you finger to whatever the other point was, it was very unlikely to have included your uterus. Babies are awfully well protected.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
It just so happens that some time ago we had a mother with a similar experience to yours. Here is a link to the thread. You will see that the pregnancy proceeded normally and the birth was normal.

There is one drawback however, when your baby reaches early adolescence, don't be surprised if he/she experiences an irresistable urge to become an Electrical Engineer:D.

hgmjr

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It just so happens that some time ago we had a mother with a similar experience to yours. Here is a link to the thread. You will see that the pregnancy proceeded normally and the birth was normal.

There is one drawback however, when your baby reaches early adolescence, don't be surprised if he/she experiences an irresistable urge to become an Electrical Engineer:D.
hgmjr
If the grim diagnose or prophecy from hgmjr is true. I think you will find this link very informative:rolleyes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYDgncMhXw