Hi and welcome to the forum.Good morning so tried using my electric kettle this morning and I held the side of the cover and on covering it I Felt a Zap on my hand from the cover and I'm 6 weeks pregnant can't reach my mid wife I'm trying not to panic right now
One of the mire violent shocks that I ever git was "standing on the floor." Of course, it was a cement floor poured over moist dirt because there was no other kind of dirt in that area. But it did have asbestos tiles floor. And I was bare foot at the time. I was flipping on a light switch on the wall, and touches a bare screw that was holding on the cover. The ungrounded box was live because a sharp edge penetrated the insulation on a wire. Evidently the code for that area did not require boxes to be grounded.Presumably she was standing on the floor!
Obviously the lid is neither grounded or connected to a source of power. I suspect that you felt a static shock. Static electricity will give you a zap but last as long as 1/10th of a millisecond. Just a snap and it's over. Static electricity has been around since the beginning of time. Since the beginning of mankind, there has never been a report of an unborn child suffering ill effects from a static shock.on covering it I Felt a Zap
True. And yes, further testing should be performed.Maybe, but do you want to take the chance, It is also possible that there is a fault on the kettle, in any event, it requires a check anyway.
At least I would.
What struck me in the opening comments, the TS stated that she was holding the side of the lid. That strikes me as a static discharge when the lid came close to the kettle and the flesh of the hand made contact with the top of the kettle, and thus a shock.Good morning so tried using my electric kettle this morning and I held the side of the cover and on covering it I Felt a Zap on my hand
Yes, testing has been mentioned. The TS describes a shock, not a tingle. To me the difference is a tingle is an indication of contact with house current and not static. The TS did not say a tingle. Only one hand on the lid (cover) and a shock. Also, IF - and we don't know this - but IF the outlet near the sink is GFCI as it should be per US code (don't know other countries codes) then in the event of a shock the power should have been interrupted so quickly that the TS should NOT have felt a shock.I suggested a fault that should be investigated back in post #4. Evidently I was not emphatic enough. That tingle could be a warning. Also, don't the outlets have a switch? The ones that I saw when I visited did have a switch. Quite handy, really.
|Thread starter||Similar threads||Forum||Replies||Date|
|Grounding while pregnant||General Electronics Chat||16|
|K||Pregnant and Electric Shock||General Electronics Chat||28|
|Big bang and an intelligent pregnant woman.||General Science, Physics & Math||4|
|E||electric shock when pregnant||General Electronics Chat||9|
|N||Pregnant and electric shock||General Electronics Chat||15|
by Aaron Carman
by Aaron Carman
by Jake Hertz
by Aaron Carman