Preference for Connecting Batteries to PCBs

b3an

Joined Feb 12, 2024
Hello,
I'm currently working on a project that involves connecting a 9V battery with a T-connector to a PCB, and I'm looking for some advice on the best way to go about it. Right now, I'm considering two options:

Terminal Block: Using a terminal block to connect the wires from the connector of the battery to the PCB. This seems like a convenient option for easy disconnect/reconnect if needed, but I'm concerned about the space it might take up on the PCB and any potential reliability issues.

Soldering Wires Through Holes: Adding holes to the PCB and soldering the wires from connector of the battery directly through these holes. This method might be more compact and potentially more reliable, but it could also be less convenient.

These are the two main options I've considered so far, but I'm open to exploring other possibilities or hearing about your preferred methods for battery connection to PCBs. Any advice would be appreciated!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
If you want a PCB connector, then use something small like this. Use quality parts instead of cheap junk if you care about reliability.
1712618575451.png
9V Battery Snap to 2-Pin PH2.0 Connector

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Design the pcb with two square copper pads (about 5mm square) and two 3mm holes about 5mm from the pads.
Solder the wires to the pads. Then fasten them to the board with a cable tie through the two 3mm holes.
Don't put the wires through holes, it just gives them a point where they can easily break.
The wires are at their most brittle just where the solder ends, so that's where then most need to be secured.

Williamsim

Joined Mar 22, 2024
For connecting a 9V battery to your PCB, you're considering two options: using a terminal block or soldering wires directly through holes on the PCB. The terminal block offers easy disconnect/reconnect but might take up more space and could have reliability issues. Soldering wires directly is more compact and potentially more reliable, but less convenient. Another option is using a battery holder designed for PCB mounting, which balances convenience and reliability. Choose based on your project's specific needs for space, ease of maintenance, and reliability.

b3an

Joined Feb 12, 2024
Unless you plan on using alternate power sources for the circuit, it makes most sense to solder the battery connector leads directly to the circuit board and use a strain release. Anythig else is just adding unnecessary complication.
Would you be able to provide me an example of a solder to board with strain release?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Many of the strain relief's I've found googling the term "wire strain relief" have all been industrial. Here's why you want strain relief: Wires can move. And as someone has said before me, wires are most brittle where the solder ends. Keeping them secure from shock and vibration will keep them from breaking. Simply holding the wire close to the joint will support the wire and prevent fractures and breakage of your hard work.

Another alternative would be to solder in place contacts that a battery can rest against. They would be the conductors that bring electricity to the PCB and would be far less susceptible to fracturing.

I fixed a sprinkler controller for an elderly neighbor. The rotary switch used to program and set the sprinklers would get manipulated so much that the solder joints on the PCB eventually fractured. The unit became non-functional. The fix was easy. Reflow the solder. That was a decade ago and the controller, already decades old is still working perfectly. Since it was so long ago I don't recall if I added any kind of support for that switch. If I didn't, and I don't think I did, I should have. Strain, shock, vibration and manipulation can fracture solder joints - and it can fracture wires as well. Strain relief is simply a matter of supporting the wires where they connect to the PCB. Even Hot Melt Glue (HMG) would be better than no strain relief. And it doesn't take up much space.