Powering a relay using capacitor and change of state

zeno007

Joined Aug 16, 2017
Hello all,

Well I am quite new to this though thought I would give a bit of electronics a go to achieve a bit of wizardry around the house.

The main aim of the project is to control a roller blind using a home automation module that simply 'talks' in a different way. Please forgive the terminology as this is my first time.

Ok, I have a Fibaro (HC2) and control multiple things around the home with it. I wish to now control a blind using a 'fibaro roller shutter 2 module'. The module has a three pin output: common (neutral, up, down). Simply, when it wants the motor to go up, the power is through the up to neutral pins for the duration it requires the motor to go up... The module perfectly controls a 'dumb motor'. Obviously it energises down when it wants to go down

Now the motor I have does a few funky things but has a low voltage input which I want to connect to the fibre module... The main difference is the motor has a 4 pin input (common, up, down, stop). The motor receives a low voltage 'pulse' on the cables and will continue with that motion till it receives a stop 'pulse'.

I have managed to figure out I can hold the down/up signal to the motor without much 'damage/negative impact' though if the stop signal is held for > about 3 seconds the motor enters a configuration mode which is no good.

Using some ice cube relays, I have changed the fibre high voltage output to a low voltage signal which works a treat for the up/down motion... the problem is the stop signal.

I have manage to use 4 relays in 2 sets of 2. The sets are mutually exclusive though act the same.
Set One
Relay A
Inputs: Fibaro Up / fibaro common
Outputs: Motor Up / motor common
Relay B
Same but Down..

Set Two
Relay A
Inputs: Fibaro Up / Fibaro common
Outputs: Relay B Output / Tail for new circuit
Relay B
Inputs: Fibaro Down / Fibaro common
Outputs: Relay A Output / Tail for new circuit

Simply, Set two creates a circuit that can be closed when no up or down signal is being sent but opens as soon as either signal is stopped. I was thinking there must be an easy way to use the closed circuit to charge a capacitor whilst a signal was being sent then use the opening of the circuit to release the 'energy' as a pulse and connect it to the stop /common inputs of the motor.

Once again I am no expert but any advice would be greatly appreciated.