Powering a GPS module by a battery?

MobiTech

Joined Aug 24, 2018
Hi,
I am new at working with sensors anderen electronic components.

I bought a GPS module (Ublox Neo 6m (GY-NEO6MV2)) and would like to connect it to a board. I could try to power the GPS module by the board but I prefer to power the GPS module using batteries. But I do not really know how to start. What do I have to think about? How can I Connect the batteries to the GPS module and which components do I need for my purpose?
Are therefore good Tutorials and explanations?

Kind regards

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Problem #1 is that the GPS module probably requires a regulated supply voltage. Batteries do not normally meet this requirement. Further investigation is required.
Problem #2 is that the TX and RX pins on the GPS module may or may not be compatible with the corresponding pins on the puck.js. Further investigation is required.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
OK,
If you look carefully, you can see a 3.3v regulator connected to the VCC pin/track. please check.!!!

If it is a 3.3v reg, you can use a 4.5v or 4.7v battery to power the module, VCC & GND.

BUT the TX and the RX lines switching levels are 0v to 3.3v.

What TX/RX voltage levels are used by the puck.js.?

E
AA2 24-Aug-18 14.42.gif

MobiTech

Joined Aug 24, 2018
OK,
If you look carefully, you can see a 3.3v regulator connected to the VCC pin/track. please check.!!!

If it is a 3.3v reg, you can use a 4.5v or 4.7v battery to power the module, VCC & GND.

BUT the TX and the RX lines switching levels are 0v to 3.3v.

What TX/RX voltage levels are used by the puck.js.?

E
View attachment 158617
Refering to the Puck.js Site: http://www.espruino.com/Puck.js
It says 3,3v (boxes mark pins that are not 5v tolerant (they only take inputs from 0 - 3.3v, not 0 - 5v)). So it should fit.

The Data Sheet of the GPS module can bei found Here: http://microco.sm/out/DrHeh

So I would simply solder a battery Holder to the vcc und gnd Pin?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
The d/s you posted for GPS module is the actual IC.
What type of battery do you plan to use.??

For reference this PDF is for the NEO 3.3v reg, I would recommend not to use a supply greater than 9V, the reg can get hot.

Added the NEO circuit png

E

Attachments

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""Problem #1 is that the GPS module probably requires a regulated supply voltage. Batteries do not normally meet this requirement. Further investigation is required.""

As much I have explored my elded vehicle gps devices, and the count is huge, all them have extremely untrustable and noneffective supply. Thus the battery is fully damaged in nearest few month after purchasing. Between tens of devices I had no chance to get ANY made well. Thus - I am taking the damaged battery off, put rather large electrolyte capacitor and drive until the LCD is damaged. Then throw it out. So I know very well, that most simplest very inaccurate soviet Zener what warranties voltage between 3,3 and 4,3 Volts is stable enough let I see accurate in which road side am I.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
P.S. As it is easy to understand, sometimes happens that device is switching while capacitor is not ready yet. Then happens that device is simply black and no response. I had seen this of thousand times, but never happen a burn-off because of too small voltage. Just make a PON again and it will boot.

MobiTech

Joined Aug 24, 2018
hi,
The d/s you posted for GPS module is the actual IC.
What type of battery do you plan to use.??

For reference this PDF is for the NEO 3.3v reg, I would recommend not to use a supply greater than 9V, the reg can get hot.

Added the NEO circuit png

E
Can I simply solder this battery holder to the Module?
https://artofcircuits.com/product/18650-3-7v-battery-holder-for-1-cell-with-wires

The red cable to 3V and the black cable to GND Pin? And what If In would Like to use a battery holder for more batteries? Is the Limit 2?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Which type of battery are you going to use.?
The onboard 3.3v regulator has a drop out voltage of approx 100mV to 300mV depending upon the module current.
I have suggested possible input voltages on posts #7 and #9
E

MobiTech

Joined Aug 24, 2018
hi,
Which type of battery are you going to use.?
The onboard 3.3v regulator has a drop out voltage of approx 100mV to 300mV depending upon the module current.
I have suggested possible input voltages on posts #7 and #9
E
I am going to use Alkaline Mignon batteries like Varta Industrial Battery AA Mignon Alkaline LR6.

Or would you recommend other batteries?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
If I was using AA alkaline batteries, I would use a 4 * AA battery holder, giving 6v when the batteries are new.
They could be changed when then they have reached say 0.9v/battery, ie 3.6V.

Is there a reason for preferring to use batteries for the NEO module, also what is the module data output driving.?

E
EEOL_2014FEB18_POW_TA_01Fig1.gif

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Refering to the Puck.js Site: http://www.espruino.com/Puck.js
It says 3,3v (boxes mark pins that are not 5v tolerant (they only take inputs from 0 - 3.3v, not 0 - 5v)). So it should fit.

The Data Sheet of the GPS module can bei found Here: http://microco.sm/out/DrHeh

So I would simply solder a battery Holder to the vcc und gnd Pin?
Hi MobiTech,
You also should also pay attention the following;
The GPS output line is connected to the puck input if the pull-up is in the puck the GPS might try to power-up the puck using the pull-up resistor. ( make the pull-up resistor switchable e.q. P-mosfet to avoid that problem)
This could also apply in the opposite direction when the puck is on and GPS off.
However; looking at the power consumption gps 47mA while puck is far less why a separate battery?
When using the standby batt from GPS it will obtain position quickly avoiding a cold start when power is applied from Puck.

Picbuster

MobiTech

Joined Aug 24, 2018
hi,
If I was using AA alkaline batteries, I would use a 4 * AA battery holder, giving 6v when the batteries are new.
They could be changed when then they have reached say 0.9v/battery, ie 3.6V.

Is there a reason for preferring to use batteries for the NEO module, also what is the module data output driving.?

E
View attachment 158724
I preferring to use batteries because the NEO module would need to much power to use the battery of the Puck for powering the module. I want to power the GPS module standalone and transmit the data by connecting the rx and tx pins of the Puck and the GPS module to get a higher runtime.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
OK, I follow that.
You solder the leads to the GPS module, but some batteries are not easy to solder too.
4* AA battery holders are available to buy.

E
4xaaapcb_sml.jpg

MobiTech

Joined Aug 24, 2018
hi,
OK, I follow that.
You solder the leads to the GPS module, but some batteries are not easy to solder too.
4* AA battery holders are available to buy.

E
View attachment 158725
What do you mean by saying "some batteries are not easy to solder"? How can I find out what is good to use? Do you have a recommendation for a battery holder and the batteries? I would use a battery holder which already has wire leads.