Powering a laser module

ceefna

Joined Feb 21, 2012
Hi guys,
I have purchased this laser module for aligning my telescope.
http://dx.com/p/50mw-532nm-green-laser-module-3v-11-9mm-26889

I am wanting to power it from a PC ATX power supply using it's 3.3V output.
The laser is rated at 250mA/3V so can I treat it as an LED and add a 1Ω resistor in series with the power supply to limit the cuttent?

I know this is not a great solution due to thermal effects etc but will it work?

If anybody has a better solution please let me know. space is very tight in the housing I am using so any circuit will need to be small.

Thanks for your time

Ceefna

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
That already has the driver on it to limit current. Its meant to attach directly to 2 x 1.5V batteries or just attach directly to the 3.3V output of your ATX and have fun..

ceefna

Joined Feb 21, 2012
Thanks mcgyvr, so the ATX supply straight onto the driver won't damage it? Do I not need to limit the current going to the driver?

Ceefna

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
As mcgyvr noted, it has it's own circuitry to control the laser. Just be sure to not use 5v or 12v on it and you'll be fine. (The 3.3V is well within range of what fresh batteries would deliver, ie. it's no different than a nominal "3V")

ceefna

Joined Feb 21, 2012
Thanks guys, straight on to an orange wire it is then. Does anybody know if all the earth wires are shared on an ATX supply?

Ceefna