Power-up of bicycle

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
Looking to add a small motor to my bike for limited operation i.e. I pedal nearly all the time but at times come across an incline which I can't climb so need power assist for this i.e. 10 secs max each time. Thinking of using electric motor but not ruling out a small micro diesel, whichever best solves the problem. Any ideas appreciated.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
There are electric upgrade kits which usually involve replacing one of the wheels. It is the least expensive option and you can continue to use the bike you already own.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I suggest multi-ratio gearing as in the multi-speed bikes that have been around many years. Not the hub with internal gears but the vastly more durable and wider range of multiple sprockets. I can pedal up any hill that I can walk up in a normal posture. And the battery never runs down. I usually avoid inclines over 30 degrees, though.

beatsal

Joined Jan 21, 2018
I suggest multi-ratio gearing as in the multi-speed bikes that have been around many years. Not the hub with internal gears but the vastly more durable and wider range of multiple sprockets. I can pedal up any hill that I can walk up in a normal posture. And the battery never runs down. I usually avoid inclines over 30 degrees, though.
Thanks! What MOTOR/battery size and V do you use?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
No motor, just leg power. A motor on a bike is a problem getting ready to fail. And tempting to thieves and those who tamper with bikes. There are a few in my area.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Modern, 8 speed internally geared hubs are excellent and have plenty of ratio span. There is also the possibility of something like the DaVinci CVT which is continuously variable and (like the IGH) can be shifted without pedaling—very useful for practical urban transportation.