Power to multiple electronic devices?

Yrless22

Joined Sep 7, 2011
Many thanks for your reply Ron. My small physical space is fixed (it is in a brick built alcove adjacent to my TV) so I cannot adjust it's size to allow for multiple sockets outlets hidden in the space. I accept that I should have explained this earlier - as well as the fact that I am in the UK where the mains voltage is 230V. Please accept my apology. I also wish to avoid the alternative solution of running a 10 way conventional extension lead outside the hidden area (an eyesore not approved by my wife). I now sense that I am clutching at straws ;>). I acknowledge that two spade US 120 volt plugs are much smaller that the 3 pin UK plugs and so would work; unfortunately, they are not allowed in the UK.

Yrless22

Joined Sep 7, 2011
We have a slight advantage here in Oz in that our power plugs are somewhat smaller than in the UK. However, they are still ridiculously large and can present a problem where you have to daisy-chain 3 X 4 port powerboards in order to get 10 usable outlets (less if you're using wall-wartts). In the US an ungrounded (or unearthed) power plug can be as small as around 20 X 20 X 10mm and multi-taps or octopuses can get you 10 or more connections in pretty small space. That said, I can't think of a solution to your particular issue unless you invest in some server room type power distribution with high outlet density. I recall seeing a power board arrangement once with 4 outlets on each face of a triangular arrangement, but don't remember where - long time ago

These http://www.ebay.com/itm/50CM-IEC-32...male-Y-type-splitter-power-cord-/251991634854 IEC cords/plugs are much smaller. The male and female were prominent on the early IBM PC computers. You had one for the line and one for the monitor. The one pictured has multiple pigtails.

The IEC versions of the cords used for laptops can be had in two and three prong versions.

There are versions of the female socket (the part that plugs into a device) that locks.

A picture is worth a thousand words. We don't know the relationships of the devices, what kind of cords and what space is available.

I'll go out on a wild limb and suggest that you make something custom that follows the rules. My idea assumes say all 240 volts stufff with either the IEC connectors or the fused power cords I've been hearing so much about.

I can't come up with a decent suggestion with knowing what there is to work with.

The #1 idea is made from a box with the .uk style connectors mounted. Let's expand on that idea briefly for a moment. DIN terminals, I'll use this https://www.asi-ez.com/member/x526-DIN-Rail-Terminal-Blocks.asp website as an example. It's a bad place to buy from for lots of reasons (min Qty and the big pond)

With those sorts of terminals, you mount a DIN rail which is about 35 mm wide using a couple of screws. There are terminals with busses. There are ones with fuses. Ones with fuseholders. In the US, I'd use THHN or THWN wire within the box. It can be done very professionally.

If all of the devices can unplug at the device, then a bunch of cord grommets and pigtails will work. You can switch to the IEC style connector and change the ends. You may be able to go to a smaller IEC connector.

I never really had to do "pretty distribution", but two types were unique and one I didn't like.

In one case we plugged in a breaker box to 60 Amp 5 Wire outlet and placed the breaker box on the out side of an equipment rack.

In another, we had the electrician run a whole bunch of outlets using their high quality industrial wiremold type of stuff. We then ran right angle hospital grade plugs to about 15 feet of type SO cord to a twist-lock receptacle that legally could be 120 or 240 Volts. Each instrument had that as a power inlet connector and LABELED. The instruments could be removed and powered by an appropriate short cord. Those twist locs are really rare and only existed in that room.

Phil-S

Joined Dec 4, 2015
You can get strips as dl324 says above with IEC sockets that are much more compact.
If your equipment is Class 2 (double insulated), you can use just two prong connector strips - I think Elkay used to do one. Most tellies etc. are double insulated.
Another alternative are things like Neutrik audio and power connectors and stuff like Bulgin Buccaneer connectors