Power surge

stu111

Joined Oct 11, 2022
Hi all,

I apologise in advance if this is not the correct forum to post this. My wife brought me a water spinner/snow globe. The warranty has passed. I brought a charger believing it to be the correct voltage, however, it doesn't seem to be the case and on plugging in the charger it's stopped only the musical function of the device. The led lights and motor still function.

I have very little experience in electronics so if someone could please point me in the right direction of what could cause the musical part to stop working. Is it the speaker itself or a resistor or combination of both.

I have attached some images of the circuit board and parts.

I would just leave it or buy another but it has sentimental value.

Any help is appreciated Thank you for your time.

Stu20221011_090706.jpg20221011_090745.jpg20221011_090701.jpg

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I brought a charger believing it to be the correct voltage, however, it doesn't seem to be the case and on plugging in the charger it's stopped only the musical function of the device. The led lights and motor still function.
  1. What is the output voltage of the charger?
  2. What voltage did the device expect?
  3. Did you smell anything burning? Do you see any burnt parts?
If the integrated circuit was damaged, as I suspect, you're out of luck.

Cropped, rotated, and brightened picture of the board:
1665505074921.png

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It was 6v when 4.5v was needed. No pop sound or burning smell.
I see from your other picture of the components that you have removed the IC. How did you do that if you have very little experience? That's not an easy thing to do without a hot air tool.

Do the motor and LED function without the IC?

The IC is most likely a microcontroller programmed to play the music.

EDIT: Some PIC microcontrollers operate from 2.5-5.5V and might survive 6V.

Last edited:

stu111

Joined Oct 11, 2022
I see from your other picture of the components that you have removed the IC. How did you do that if you have very little experience? That's not an easy thing to do without a hot air tool.

Do the motor and LED function without the IC?

The IC is most likely a microcontroller programmed to play the music.

EDIT: Some PIC microcontrollers operate from 2.5-5.5V and might survive 6V.
When I opened it up I noticed that only the one side of the IC was seated, is this common or do all sides need to be in contact. Was just wondering if this is the problem then. I was able to remove with soldering iron. I appreciate your time in replying.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
When I opened it up I noticed that only the one side of the IC was seated, is this common or do all sides need to be in contact.
That's not normal and would be difficult to do intentionally when the board was manufactured.

Do you recall which pins weren't soldered?

You might have lucked out and the application of an incorrect voltage and the malfunction weren't related. Part of the pad for pin 7 has been lifted, but that doesn't look like it'll be a problem because it's a single sided board and the important part is still connected to the speaker pad.