Power supply

GAMZ

Joined Nov 11, 2011
Hey EveryOne

It´s my first post.
I have a circuit which need +/-15V, but I want make use of only a single +15V supply. The output current required is 300mA.

Regards
Gamana Maganti

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
By definition a supply that supplies both is a dual supply. The transformer is typically the component that is shared by the two suppliesl. I would suck it up and build a dual supply: why not, they are pretty simple.

Why do you want the supply, there may be other options.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You can generate a negative voltage from a positive at that current using a switching regulator.

You will probably find that it is less expensive to simply use a pair of 15v "wall wart" plug supplies, and wire them in series.

You could also use a single 30v supply, and use a power opamp with a resistive divider to generate a "virtual ground".

samin

Joined Oct 14, 2011
You can use a positive and negative regulators. The input to the positive and

negative rails go to the appropriate regulator input. The grounds are tied

together, and this is your virtual ground.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
You can use a positive and negative regulators. The input to the positive and

negative rails go to the appropriate regulator input. The grounds are tied

together, and this is your virtual ground.

This is not a very good way as the regulators output source current, not sink it ( for most regulators ). Unless you
already have the common ground as you would with separate rectification for the two sides of the supply. A dual supply ( at least with linear regulators ) is probably much simpler than a single one with an inverting switcher ( which might count as a second supply any way ).