Power Supply

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Check out local ham radio swap meets or forums; you might get a used Astron linear supply for cheap.
https://www.astroncorp.com/slim-line-w-housing
Astron linear supplies are a solid choice. But, an Astron supply at a hamfest is unlikely to go very cheap. The need for power supplies is evergreen and the prices are much closer to retail than is comfortable.

This Astron 7.5A supply on eBay is actually a pretty good deal at $55 shipped. It’s better than the Pyramid I linked in #4 and a similar price.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Failed Astron power supplies are repairable. Not only are circuit schematics available along with voltage charts, but the boards are large enough and the parts adequately spaced so that they are able to be repaired. And they do not use exotic hard to locate components. At least that is what I have seen in the linear regulated Astron supplies.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Failed Astron power supplies are repairable. Not only are circuit schematics available along with voltage charts, but the boards are large enough and the parts adequately spaced so that they are able to be repaired. And they do not use exotic hard to locate components. At least that is what I have seen in the linear regulated Astron supplies.
Yes, the designs are quite old making them through-hole and not densely populated. I have repaired a few, though overall I have found that they are robust enough to rarely fail in ordinary use.

Of course there are probably some very old supplies still in circulation and aging might reduce reliability absent swapping in new parts.

[EDIT: typo repair]

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Good to know that you know more about the radio than the people selling them.
The reason to specify the higher voltage is that at 13.6 volts the output power will be at the upper limit of what is allowed for that class of radio. I am very well aware of "specsmanship" and just exactly how misleading claims are done. How to present the truth in misleading ways. I did take the course on propaganda analysis in college. I also got it in high school, but there it was only two weeks of that exact focus. The rest of the semester was about how government works.
So yes, I do know about how far the truth gets stretched.
Glad you asked.