Power supply question from a noob

lrubin28

Joined Jan 22, 2017
I'm making a small project, and an on line calculator suggests that I need about 2.8A, roughly the same number for voltage. Total watts were something between 7-8.
I know enough to be able to read the output for amps/ voltage on a power supply, but seems I'll never find something that's exactly what I want (I'm looking to do this inexpensively). So what would you recommend I use? It would be on for about .5-1hr per use. Any help is appreciated.

lrubin28

Joined Jan 22, 2017
So you need a 3V @ 3amp psu??

You could use an Atx psu, or a small switchmode wallwart/ plugin type.
Thanks for answering. I realized I probably didn't phrase my question correctly. It probably should have read, where do I find a plug in type supply that meets these requirements? It can't be that whatever combination of volts and amps you need is available this way, no? I have no idea - maybe they are?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Jameco.com claims to be the king of wall warts.

Since you're unsure of what to ask, it would be helpful if you described your application and/or posted a schematic. Most circuits require a certain voltage and current requirement is what it is. To calculate power required using current without specifying voltage is unusual.