Power supply from super capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
TS does not understand power generation vs power storage, and conservation of energy.
When you take into account losses, power generation must exceed power consumed. Hence it takes more energy to recharge the capacitors than the energy delivered by the capacitors.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Certainly did not mean to offend anyone. also I don't think capacitor or some type of magic bullet for power.. also while I may be trying to use the power in a way that is unusual or maybe even wrong. If I can get it to build up 2000 watts and release it then recharge I have accomplished exactly what I am trying to do. Which is exactly what everyone keeps telling me capacitor or meant to do. True they probably never meant them to build this much power but they can, right? I often think I am not very good at explaining things or making myself understood. Again let me repeat! I want to learn how to build this circuit board and it would be nice to see it work. I live in a rv and have a marine battery hooked up to it with an inverter that runs all the 120 ac items in my rv when needed. I am not expecting to unleach some hidden energy source. If it was that good power plants would be using them. I just did some experiments with solar panels that really surprised me. most of what is being said about them are misleading I bought dozens of solar panels off Amazon and none of them worked as expected. Not really the fault of the panels but more because of the claims being made by the sellers. Most of the 12 volt battery chargers I bought only produced 12 Vols which charged my lawn mower battery to 10 volts. And I live in Texas so have plenty Sun. This is simalar to that. I then bought a 18 volt solar panel and have a fine batery charger. I remember when Instmatic camera came out experts in the filming industry came on the news in Houston and said it would not work out. Developing color film was to complicated to do in one device. But my mom went out and bought one the first week they hit the stores and used one model or another till she died. But it still brings me back to my original question. Can these super capacitors build up 2k watts of power and recharge in seconds and will the experts on this forum help/advise me in building the system?
How are you going to "recharge" the capacitors?

dvdljns

Joined Jul 13, 2021
You may be tempted to assume that it is the fault of the batteries. I would question your purchasing choices, along with the care and maintenance of those batteries. When properly treated they have a lifetime that approaches the useful life of the machine they are in.
Actually they don't. The battery in my car is maintained by my mechanic and he has years of experience plus a degree in the trade. I have replaced my battery but my car was built in 89 and works fine.t I admit he keeps telling me I should change to gel and get longer battery life.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
2000W x 12h = 24kWh

If you can get 6 hours of sunlight you would need a 4kW solar panel.
When you take into account losses and cloudy days, you need a 10kW solar panel.

Here is what a 10kW solar system looks like:
1626274473743.png

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I need a power supply able to run a 2000 what inverter. I have been looking at capacitors to do it. I did find a site where a guy built one that would supply 1200 watts using 6 super capacitor so I would need two of them but was trying to sale the circuit board not the plans. I have been researching and have a few questions. Although I have heard a few explanations I am not sure I really found a good way to be sure input power to the capacitor stays at 2.5 volts under all instances. Also when you put capacitors in series the capacitance halves. Not sure how to get around this. Maybe two are three of the same circuit in parallel . Like 12 volt 10 amps. When I use the inverter I will lose some amperage, right? When I started researching this everyone seemed made it out to sound cut and dried but then I found a post that explained why most limiting circuit did not work on super capacitors. Now I think I am more confused then ever.
Here's a good start for learning how to answer all those questions:

Title: Understanding Basic Electronics, 1st Ed.
Publisher: The American Radio Relay League
ISBN: 0-87259-398-3

dvdljns

Joined Jul 13, 2021
How are you going to "recharge" the capacitors?
Either solar or a battery probably solar. I happen to have a lot of solar panels lying around. Lol I will need both because solar panels want charge that fast I think. I still need to research that. I might need a bank of batteries. I am not going to hook it to my rv and take a chance of wrecking that system because I am courious.

dvdljns

Joined Jul 13, 2021
Here's a good start for learning how to answer all those questions:

Title: Understanding Basic Electronics, 1st Ed.
Publisher: The American Radio Relay League
ISBN: 0-87259-398-3
I think I still have that book around here somewhere. Do you still do ham?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
To the TS:

You have a solar panel that can produce 1KW of
power. You use it to charge a supercapacitor for 1 hour. How long can your supercapactor run an inverter producing 2KW of power?

Bob

dvdljns

Joined Jul 13, 2021
To the TS:

You have a solar panel that can produce 1KW of
power. You use it to charge a supercapacitor for 1 hour. How long can your supercapactor run an inverter producing 2KW of power?

Bob
I don't know. It may not even run it.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Certainly did not mean to offend anyone. also I don't think capacitor or some type of magic bullet for power.. also while I may be trying to use the power in a way that is unusual or maybe even wrong. If I can get it to build up 2000 watts and release it then recharge I have accomplished exactly what I am trying to do. Which is exactly what everyone keeps telling me capacitor or meant to do. True they probably never meant them to build this much power but they can, right? I often think I am not very good at explaining things or making myself understood. Again let me repeat! I want to learn how to build this circuit board and it would be nice to see it work. I live in a rv and have a marine battery hooked up to it with an inverter that runs all the 120 ac items in my rv when needed. I am not expecting to unleach some hidden energy source. If it was that good power plants would be using them. I just did some experiments with solar panels that really surprised me. most of what is being said about them are misleading I bought dozens of solar panels off Amazon and none of them worked as expected. Not really the fault of the panels but more because of the claims being made by the sellers. Most of the 12 volt battery chargers I bought only produced 12 Vols which charged my lawn mower battery to 10 volts. And I live in Texas so have plenty Sun. This is simalar to that. I then bought a 18 volt solar panel and have a fine batery charger. I remember when Instmatic camera came out experts in the filming industry came on the news in Houston and said it would not work out. Developing color film was to complicated to do in one device. But my mom went out and bought one the first week they hit the stores and used one model or another till she died. But it still brings me back to my original question. Can these super capacitors build up 2k watts of power and recharge in seconds and will the experts on this forum help/advise me in building the system?
take step back

and you have avoided the obvious question, which is rather strange.

you want to provide 2000 Watts,
how long do you want to provide that power for ?

then calculate how much capacitance at what voltage you need to provide,

do this and come back to us .

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Either solar or a battery probably solar. I happen to have a lot of solar panels lying around. Lol I will need both because solar panels want charge that fast I think. I still need to research that. I might need a bank of batteries. I am not going to hook it to my rv and take a chance of wrecking that system because I am courious.
How will solar panels that can't power the load recharge the capacitors in seconds? The capacitors can't draw more current than the panels can produce. If the panels produce enough current to charge the caps, they would do even better maintaining batteries.

In electrical circuits you can never get out more than you put in, you can't even get as much as you put in due to unavoidable losses. You don't seem to understand critical fundamental concepts here.

And just to disabuse you of your notion about proving experts wrong: there is nothing novel here that experts are dismissing. There are no new technologies involved, no unaccounted for market forces—no gaps for some unexpected success to come from it.

Yes, sometimes experts are unable to see new opportunities, but those cases share attributes which this case has none of.

If you want a solar power system, batteries are the most effective way. SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) are the most cost effective and simplest but you could use Lithium chemistry batteries as well.

If you want to go exotic, you could try flywheels or pumped storage but none of these things can compensate for a power source that is underpowered. All of them are storage systems to allow you to collect power over time in order to have enough.

dvdljns

Joined Jul 13, 2021
Despite the heading in the video, these are not what electronic engineers call super caps,
Super caps tend to have capacitances of Farads,
where as these have capacitance of u farad.
Ok a farad 1 million uf? So these are really 0.00005

Status
Not open for further replies.