Power supply for Dell Latitude D620

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop and the AC adapter which comes with it and I want to build or adapt a power supply for use in the car.

The nominal output of the AC supply is 19.5 V DC, 4.62 A and it would be easy enough to build one with those specs with input from the car but I have two problems.

One is that the computer connector is very unusual and I do not know where I could find it. I thought of cutting it off and using a more common intermediate connector but then I noticed the connector has three connectors, not two. Outside cylinder, inside cylinder and central pin. I assume the two cylindrical connections are the power supply and the central pin is some sort of feedback, maybe a voltage feedback although the voltage seems stable even with that pin disconnected.

Where can I find further information on this power supply? (and the connector)

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I think the inverter is a good solution. It offers the convenience of usage with other AC power devices in addition to your laptop.

hgmjr

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
I was using an inverter but it died and I happen to have a car adapter which I was hoping to adapt. Using a single adapter simplifies things and is more energy-efficient.

In my experience laptops are quite tolerant with their supply voltage so I wonder if this one is not.

I am inclined to just feed it 20 V and see what happens. I suppose the laptop might detect it is not an "original" PS and not accept it.

It would be good to know exactly what kind of circuit the center pin is connected to so that I could ignore it or fool it or duplicate it, as needed.