Power supply design - simple

Psf1575

Joined Mar 2, 2018
Hey everyone, i was tasked with creating a simple power supply. The specifications are to produce a DC voltage that takes in 110 V at 50 Hz, and uses a 10:1 transformer. So here is what I have so far. A full bridge rectifier with the resistor as the load. I have the zener diode and capacitor in series with my ouput voltage load so i can regulate the voltage and the ripples. Now i got this far, but im a bit confused on how the parts after the resistor are working. I know that on the load im getting a DC voltage since its a full wave rectifier, and i know that the voltage across would be 9.6 since the voltage went through 2 diode drops each half cycle. Is the voltage regulating in the zener and the capacitor equal to 9.6 V since they're in parallel? Thank you everyone.

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Your circuit is missing an essential component, a resistor in series with the zener diode to limit the current. Without this resistor your zener diode is going to be destroyed by excessive current and heat dissipation.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Also the bottom end of the transformer secondary needs to connect to the center point of the two lower diodes.

Last edited:

Psf1575

Joined Mar 2, 2018
Your circuit is missing an essential component, a resistor in series with the zener diode to limit the current. Without this resistor your zener diode is going to be destroyed by excessive current and heat dissipation.
Ok, got it. How would the voltage distribution work then, since im adding a resistor im assuming that the voltage down the load wont be 9.6 V anymore. Does the zener regulate whatever voltage is across the load?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hey everyone, i was tasked with creating a simple power supply.
Tasked by who?

This sounds like a school assignment of some kind. Is it? If so, I can move it to Homework Help where you will get support more closely aligned with the goal of helping you learn the concepts.

Psf1575

Joined Mar 2, 2018
Tasked by who?

This sounds like a school assignment of some kind. Is it? If so, I can move it to Homework Help where you will get support more closely aligned with the goal of helping you learn the concepts.
Yes its a school assignment. Im still new to this so im sorry. Thank you

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Two important things:
  1. How do you expect a good voltage source to behave when you take current from it? Do you think the transformer, rectifier and filter capacitor will make a reasonably good voltage source?
  2. What does the voltage versus current curve for a zener diode tell you?

Another question. It's a bit silly, but not complete nonsense:
What might you do to prevent problems when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?
Try to relate that question to the sections of the power supply.