Power supply atx over current protection reset

Genie225

Joined Jul 18, 2022
Hello,
I have convert 2 power supply atx ( Liteon Ps-5301-08HF and Dell F255E-00 ) to power 2 loads on 12v each PS. After 30mn the first off and 5mn latter the 2nd off. When I on it now without load it run but it off when I put load. How can I resolve this fault. Is anyway to reset the current protection. Thank you to help me solve this.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
We need more information.
What are the 12 volt current ratings of each power supply?
What is the load current? If this is more than that of the "weaker" power supply, then you need to have a load balancer - not easy for a beginner and a ATX unit.

If you bypass the current protection, you are likely to damage your power supplies.

Genie225

Joined Jul 18, 2022
The 12v current rating of the Liteon ps-5301-08HF is 19A max, 300watt and the 12 current rating of the dell ps- F255E-00 is 17A. I have not bypass the current protection and I use each PS separately. The load current is 15 his current increase when he getting hot.
Thank you

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
I understand that each of the power supplies is feeding a 15 Amp load and each trip after some time.
There could be 3 reasons.
1) Poor ventilation. The cooling fans may not be fully working, the heatsinks may be dirty.
2) The current limit setting may require some adjustment, it may be set for a slightly less limit
3) The supplies may not be able to supply this current load for long duration.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Do you have any load on the 5V supply?
If not its voltage may be too high tripping the overvoltage protection. Measure the 5V when the supplies are under load.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
best way to restart the pc is to separate the psu power from the wall for a couple of moments. this seems to be "resetting the ocp."
Yes, it can take minutes on some supplies. The capacitors hold the protection on, so you must wait for them to discharge fully.