POWER SUPPLY 24- 12

FRANKV1

Joined Mar 2, 2024
Hi

I need to make a 24vdc and 12vdc power supply. I have a siutably powerfull transformer 12-0-0-12. I bridged the 0v so as to have 0-12 on one side and 24v between the two 12v outputs. In the diagram attached i have also included the bridge rectifiers which will the feed into LM voltage regulators.
Is this an acceptable arrangement ?

Thanks

Attachments

Jerry-Hat-Trick

Joined Aug 31, 2022
I’m guessing you have taken into account that the full wave rectified DC voltage from 12 volts AC is greater than 12 volts DC and that your capacitors need to be large enough to be sure the voltage every half cycle doesn’t fall below the headroom needed by your linear regulator to guarantee 12 volts DC whilst maintaining the current drawn by the load

FRANKV1

Joined Mar 2, 2024
Thanks for your replies. So is it only that bridge rectifiers are a waste in this application or is it wrong to use them the way i described ?

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
So is it only that bridge rectifiers are a waste in this application or is it wrong to use them the way i described ?
You can use only one bridge rectifier. My 4 diodes = bridge rectifier.
Your circuit is not the normal way. I see what you are trying to do but without building it I don't know. I think it has problems, but I don't have time today.